Author Topic: Menominee scallop edged bow  (Read 4226 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Menominee scallop edged bow
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:35:49 pm »
This was a simple D bow with a twist.  The scalloped edges pose a challenge that can be easily navigated if a bowyer keeps one thing in mind.  Ensure the bottom of each scallop is in line with the others.  (See the diagram)  It seems each scallop would violate the grain begging to break in any of a dozen spots.  The reason it does not had to do with the triangular sections formed between the scallops.  Each triangle does not carry any strain as the bow back is stretched.  Making sure scallops are precisely lined up becomes vital.  If on scallop dips too far into the limb then fibers that do take the strain will be violated and lead to a break.  I broke one of these initially and after the bow autopsy that is exactly what happened I dug too deep into the bow with that scallop. 
Line them up and you should have success.  Oh also keep the cross section square.  Do not round the edges of the scallop.  That too can set the stage for a fatal break. 

Final stats 47 inches long (per Hamm and Allely EoNABA&Q vol. 1) handle 1" wide, 3/8" thick, mid limb same thickness but 7/8" wide.  The bow pulls 35# @ 24 inches.  I am not willing to pull it beyond that distance due to the short length and no backing to shore up my confidence.  The bow shoots nicely with no hand shock.  The bow took over an inch of set but not bad.  I still have to bend it to string it. 

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Menominee scallop edged bow
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:48:43 pm »
That is one sweet looking unit 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:49:25 pm »
Very cool and informational! Looks like hickory and what is the purpose of the notches in scallops?

Thanks, Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:18:08 pm »
That's a nice looking bow. Is it from a board or stave?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:32:23 pm »
Thanks fellas.  The bow is from a hickory stave.  The purpose of the scallops seems to either be for decoration or a bowmaker of old showing off a little.  As if to say "see what I can do?"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:42:19 pm »
Sweet bow can we see a braced and drawn pic?

Jon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:05:16 pm »
Very cool bow!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 06:26:07 am »
Nice work, that's a great lookin' bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 10:48:46 am »
You made a fine bow! Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 01:56:09 pm »
Nice work! I was wondering about the function of the scallops too when I saw that style bow in Hamm and Allely.  I was thinking that maybe the groove in the peak of the scallop allowed for securing a feather or strip of fur with sinew wrap...I don't know, but that sure would look cool.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 03:47:24 pm »
Pix of the bow braced and drawn.  I have seen another scalloped bow that had holes drilled in the scallops in order to tie feathers.  The original for this did not have any holes drilled in it.