Author Topic: Tip overlays  (Read 17455 times)

makete

Re: Tip overlays
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 01:12:31 pm »
 ;DThanks for the replys. Maybe there is hope. ;D

brokennock

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 11:59:36 pm »
My favorite is pig's tonails, sold in pet stores as chew toys. Colors run from solid black to solid tan with different mixes and stripes in between. Doesn't look like much at first but once cut to shape glued on and polished they look great. Carefull cutting it with power tools, it stinks somethin awfull when it gets hot. Same goes for tryin to shape it with a bench grinder, foul stench and mucks up the stone.

Robinwho

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 01:37:40 am »
Sea shells and oyster shells make good overlays but you need to learn to cut and work with those material before you do it to a bow.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 12:27:40 pm »
I really look at overall woodworking skills in dressing up the bow. Although tiller is so important, once that is nailed, then I really admire the other aspects about what is making the bow distinctive.  Art work, tips, interesting handles make bows, not to mention seamless laminanation make the bow noticible.
I am an avid reader of WOOD Magazine and make a few projects from it.  Some of the tip work and really good glueups of your bows could easily be featured in the fine furniture section of this magazine.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline snedeker

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 10:15:16 am »
One thing you could do with the soapstone is arrow rest and strike plate

Dave

makete

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 11:48:20 am »
Thanks Dave never thought of that. How would you make an arra rest from soap stone? A stricker plate, would it be inlayed?