Author Topic: black bamboo?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline ozy clint

black bamboo?
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:51:15 am »
is black bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra) suitable for arrows?
i'm in australia and i'm finding it hard to find some primitive arrow shaft material. i've tried a few different bamboo species and they are all too weak or the taper is too to severe (1/2" at one end 1/4" at the other over 32" length) or the nodes are too off set. i can straighten the internodes and get the arrow straight but the nodes are too off set. bit like this,  _--_--_--_--_-- the internodes don't line up.
i've found some black bamboo and i cut about a dozen shafts to try. the are drying now. this stuff seems like the most likely stuff to produce arrows yet. nice taper, seems stiff enough. anyone else use it?

Offline CraigMBeckett

Re: black bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:15 am »
I have not used black bamboo but am intrigued with your assertion of having problems finding primitive shaft material. What is wrong with wood? We have Hoop Pine and Victorian Ash/Tassie Oak they make excellent shafts, There must be others of our native species such as the Wattles that would make good shaft material, In addition if you live in areas where exotic (European, American etc) trees grow you should be able to find plenty of Poplars and Birch, Ash and Elm etc.

Craig.

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:48:19 am »
yes there are plenty of acacia species here. there is one that grows very tall and straight with a diameter of about 5-10cm that i am yet to try for arrows.
anyone got a link to making arrows from logs?

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:05:11 am »
yes there are plenty of acacia species here. there is one that grows very tall and straight with a diameter of about 5-10cm that i am yet to try for arrows.
anyone got a link to making arrows from logs?

Simple method is to split (preferably) or saw (following grain and annual rings) into square stock just slightly larger than the desired diameter of your shafts, then plane off the four corners to form a hexagonal section, then plane off the 8 corners to form a hexadecagonal (16 sided) section (must admit to having looked that up, who can remember what a 16 sided figure is called, certainly not me :) ) then sand to round. A simple jig that consists of a "V" groove in a work surface can help with holding the piece as you plane it but is not essential.If you want to be really primitive, split to approximately square section then scrape off the 4 corners, repeat with the 8 then use sandstone to abrade to round.

Or make a router jig as shown in the following link.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/dowelmakingjig.aspx

Or (my personal favourite) use a Veritas tennon and dowel cutter:
http://www.veritastools.com/products/Page.aspx?p=151

Here it is in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTKfqW4-sE

Craig
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:10:32 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:48:05 am »
thanks craig i'll give it a go.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:06:02 am »
Clint, collect some of the black boo , let it dry well and check it out as arrows. You might be surprised. I've never tried black boo but the others I have tried have all made good arrows...some real good and some just good!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC