Author Topic: And it's missing a foot of length!  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Parnell

And it's missing a foot of length!
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:38:02 pm »
My bro-in-law Adam works private security in S. Texas.  The osage bow I posted last month is for him to hunt with out there.  They have to shoot a certain number of deer per year or they get fined.  He's harvested over 400 in the last year, I saw the picture of the meat locker that's the size of my house.  Packed.  Unbelievable. 

He almost stepped on this one a couple weeks ago.  He pulled out his side arm and hit it about a foot below the head!  Gotta back that osage bow now.  That'll be a first time for me.

He's got a second that he just brought back that's even longer, probably about 8 foot, still frozen.  Anyone know the solution for prepping the skins that makes 'em rubbery/stretchy?
Glycerine and is it isopropyl alcohol?  Not sure. Clyde Gaskins told me about it at The Classic but can't quite remember.  He wants to process the other that way.

Check out the picture!
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: And it's missing a foot of length!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:34 pm »
Holy wah!  Someone here on the site built a 4" wide pine bow once...finally, a snake to back that bow!

Glad that snake didn't unload a shot in your bro-in-law's leg!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »
That is a whopper.  WOW. 

I just tack the skins down to a board and let them air dry.  I have never used any chemicals on them.  When I am ready to put them on a bow, I soak them in water for 10 or 15 minutes to rehydrate them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:57 pm »
Hmm, yup think I'm gonna try to talk him into just letting the other dry while pinned out.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:02:50 am »
That is one, big, Western Coontail. I think that one would pop you about waist high.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:15:49 am »
Amigo that is one big snake. Just have him tack it down flesh up, air dry in the sun. That's it. It will last for years that way.

Get fines if they don't kill enough deer???? Now how far is he from me  :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:10:08 am »
Wow what a snake,ya glycerin and alcohol will do it,but only do that if you don't plan on gluing it to anything,it will make it soft and plyable.I have done several to be used for a hat band. Antifreeze will do the same thing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:41 am »
I hear you Cipriano, I wish I could go.  This is a "private ranch" and fly into on their own airstrip.  Must be nice ::).
They do fly out vets and host them when they've returned home - Wounded Warrior program and such.  They hire a butchering staff to come in and process all that meat, I can only imagine the meals that come out of that place.  I'd like to go just to eat!
Some entertaining stories and Adam is a guy that can sure tell a good story.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »
Steve, is it the Y O Ranch? I met a guy that was one of the Foreman that invited me out quite a few years ago. I still have his number ::) ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lemos

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 02:11:26 am »
Thats a big snake! I'm curious though, why kill the large breeders? Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of backed bows and have hunted and skinned my fair share of snakes ,but I try to take just the right size ones for bow limbs. Is'nt that to large for a backing

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 02:57:44 am »
Steve, now it really sounds like an adventure. You really should get out there and swing by for coffee and pecan pie..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »
Dunno Lemos, I didn't kill it.  The guys working there are playing by different rules, don't think they're the conservation type.

Cipriano, if I ever get down that way you can be sure I'd catch up with you for a cup of coffee.  Feliz Navidad.
1’—>1’