Author Topic: Vine Maple attempt. (just getting a feel)  (Read 3297 times)

Offline jcathunter

Vine Maple attempt. (just getting a feel)
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:16:17 pm »
I was bored today so I decided to mess with a green vine maple piece just to get the feel.  Here is what I have, so far.

I'm hoping I laid it out to have the string center over the left side of the bow for a centershot effect.

Hopefully this knot doesn't foul me up

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Vine Maple attempt. (just getting a feel)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:43:02 pm »
There you go. Now sit back and let her dry for about 3-4 months. Maybe seal the back??
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:09:20 pm »
Only worked Vine maple once...Good wood. If the back aint sealed....SEAL IT!!!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:00:20 am »
I hope it doesn't happen to ya but there's a possibility that it'll warp a bit where you've narrowed the handle.
It may not happen with vine maple (have some but haven't really worked it yet) but I learned the hard way with a couple of green staves of other woods.....
simply a warning!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 12:46:25 am »
I have roughed out several green vine maple staves, have never sealed the back, and have never had any noticeable warping.  In my experience, vine maple dries quickly.  You could probably get away with starting tillering in 6-8 weeks, if you were really itching.  Results may vary.  I like that lay out. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:20:02 am »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I'd read that viney dries very quickly and is very forgiving so I figured I'd go ahead and start messing with it.  We have an overabundance of it around here so I'm not out anything if it warps and/or checks. This stave was not one of my good ones so I'm using it to learn.  If it turns out, great, if not, I can use it for a learning experience.  That being said, its actually going better than I thought it would so I kinda hope it works out. ;D  Sure is fun!!!

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 01:46:28 am »
What CMB Said!
You got a great start.

I've not had vine maple check even with the bark off and no seal. It will warp if your rough out back does not directly follow the tension side of the wood. That stave you have looks like a good one and don't be surprised if it gains an additional 3" of deflex as it dries. The way it's side profile looks, you could control the amount of set you get in the middle of the limb as you are tillering the reflex out and get a nice kid of gull-wing profile out of it (and still keep the tips  front of the handle). Don't worry about that knot, it's got a good mound around it. VM can take it. If that was big leaf maple I'd say throw it away. I have a couple of VM saplings that I harvested (roughed out) in July that I could have started tillering a month ago but they had to get in line somewhere behind the other 30 or so other half finished bow projects.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:40 am »
looks great...i have done 2...where i took one down to some floor tillering and didnt have any bark on it...let it dry for a few months then was ready to go....the other i took it down to floor tillering but still had bark on ....did the same way in drying and it came out good also...john

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:35:56 am »
I've worked a little more and have actually shot two of my bows now.  My most recent is fun to shoot but the poundage is real high so I have to work on my strength a bit.  With the final sanding and finish work, I'm sure the poundage will go down slightly.  Here's a couple pics.  I'm kinda proud of it.

I even made the string.  Yes, that is a dirt bike in my bedroom. ;D 8)  My wife doesn't like it but a man has to have priorities. hahahahha

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 01:00:19 am »
Kinda proud?? :o Looks like a heck of a sweet bow to me. Ya ought to be really proud. Nice work.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 02:02:41 am »
nice work on the vine...that is one of the reasons i am proud to be in oregon...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 03:31:13 am »
WOW jcat you kicked that things but! and for your first bow thats great man! Most dont get a shooter on there first attemp but I agree Vine Maple is very strong in tension so even if the tiller is wacked it will usually hold up. That thing looks nice! Now just get some charcoal stain on it and go kill your cat with it! How did it feel that first arrow you flung from a bow you made!? haha Nice job man! I have also never sealed the back of barked VM and never had a problem, I have had it warp on me but thats nothing a bit of heat cant fix. Thanks for posting!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 04:54:15 pm »
Sweet, your first bow and it's a shooter :)

Congrats!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline randman

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 05:30:52 pm »
Niiice Jcat! I'd say for just gettin the feel, you felt it pretty good. Nailed it! I love Vine Maple. Even 1" sticks will make snappy little bows. We are so lucky in the NW that it grows like weeds in the woods all around us.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 11:33:38 pm »
Thanks guys.  The viney is probibly the biggest contributer to my success. That stuff is hard to break. lol  I'll post up some more pics when I get it completely finished.