Author Topic: While i was at the archery range today...  (Read 6362 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: While i was at the archery range today...
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 10:25:22 pm »
There is an artist of some pretty good fame that does western art, lotsa cowboys and the like.  I am trying to talk him into doing a painting next year with me in it.  I'll be in camp with my primitive bow leaning against my leg and I am straightening arrows over a campfire.  Surrounding the fire in shadows like ghosts of deer camp past will be a 1920's hunter with red plaid shirt and a 30-40 Kraig, a 1870's cowboy with a lever gun, a furtrapper with a smoothbore flinter, and a Kentucky longhunter with his swamped barrel fullstock deerslayer.  The working title of the painting is "Never Lonely in Deer Camp".

Just like Primitive Archery Magazine, and the gentleman you met, it's all about passing on the tradition.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sonny

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 10:51:32 pm »
JW, seems the only thing missing from that painting is an NDN.  just sayin'
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 12:24:09 am »
Seeing how the painting was supposed to suggest my family tree going back I hadn't considered the "locals", so to speak. 

Speaking of passing it down, I just finished a progress interview with an Eagle Scout that will be doing his project for my very own Black Hills Raptor Center.  He saw some of my bows in the corner and asked if he could look at 'em.  He was all over 'em and head over heels in love at first sight.  I sealed the deal and told him that when the project is finished I will provide him with an osage stave, the tools, and the teaching for him to crank out his own bow. 

Passing it along, it's all good.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.