Author Topic: Horsecreek chert  (Read 4978 times)

Offline warhawk

Horsecreek chert
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:22:18 am »
Can horse creek chert be heat treated and at what temperature? I also have some raw Texas spall that i am thinking aboutheat treating to can they be placed together? any advice would be appreciated and has anyone goggled maps and found a site for flintknappers to poet their location just a side note.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline piper

Re: Horsecreek chert
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:49:55 pm »
warhawk...is this what you are asking about......its just getting started this week....http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=217414381334476365099.0004b2aa077b2eabbd2e6  ...........heat will help the HCC... but the temp I do not know.................... hope this helps....................Curt
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:53:25 pm by piper »
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:57:40 pm »
leapingbare and sawfiler have heat treated it a lot. I have a little, usually around 450 dgs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 05:05:18 am »
That map is pretty cool but Im not too sure that I want to post my location to a map like that.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:41:39 pm »
Depends on the grade of the horse creek.
If its glassy dont take it over 350
If its the normal stuff and a little rough than 500 works good.
If its very rough and you got it from that guy on paleoplanet then its called pony creek and needs about 700*
Be sure to alow enough drying time atleast 5 hours at less then 250. some people like to ramp up the heat slow after that but ive learned that aslong as you ive it ample drying time at about 200 then you can go ahead nd ramp it up to the hold temp. i'd let it soak at the hold timp for about 8 hours and then just turn off the heat and give it 12 hours to cool. 20 hours if your useing a kiln and went to 700.
 Hope this helps.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:46:48 pm »
anouther note. The hotter you cook it the the more color change you will get. This is not a good thing when cooking horse creek.
 your reds will turn violet and your greens will turn dark almost a brown color and the yellows will dull out to.
Its best to give it just anough heat to allow you to work it but not enough to change the color. Most color change happens at about 450 on horse creek.
 Pony creek is different and the colors will become a little more vibrante with heat and the greens will sometimes turn a turquoise color.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline warhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:18:30 am »
Thanks for the information and i hope you all have a merry christmas. Im going deer hunting friday all day on FT Bragg wish me luck.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:17:56 pm »
Good luck Warhawk, hope you get a bigun.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 05:06:53 am »
I have some horse creek i want to heat treat, its the dead of winter where i am, can i cook it in my stove with sand in a giant turkey pot? Or should i wait till summer and do it the old way, bury it and cook it. And what is the difference between pony creek? the stuff i have is a mixture of the usual HCC some very grainy and some what looks pretty decent and two big yellow pieces that look very similar, but has some light red but mostly yellow, i did get it of a guy on paleoplanet, not sure if its the "guy" leapingbear speaks of. I have about 20lbs of the material and in no real rush to make it into gravel either. :-\