Author Topic: Primitive Arrow Sealer?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Primitive Arrow Sealer?
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:44:39 pm »
  Searching for the best PRIMITIVE or PERIOD arrow sealer. Would like to hear about everyone's favored sealer. I have used lard in the past but heard different waxes work wonderful also. Open to all opinions.
                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Primitive Arrow Sealer?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 03:56:44 pm »
Don, on most of my primitive arrows I use pitch varnish I make. Probably not authentic but primitive enough for me.  ;D  I have also used hand rubbed bear grease.
  Rich uses a mixture of bear(or deer) fat and pine pitch for his primitive bows. That should work for arrows too.

To make pitch varnish I start with hard, brittle pitch and disolve it in alcohol. I then strain it and store in a air tight jar. Seems to stay good for a long time like this.   If you use soft, ozzy pitch your finish will remain tacky for a long time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:35:53 pm »
This question gets asked a lot and I wish there was a simple answer.  The "short" answer is:  Use the one you can get easily.  For most people, this means animal fat.

Then there is the long answer. :o

My favorite sealer is pure tung oil.  Is it the best?  No.  Shellac is probably the best "natural" sealer.

How about beeswax or pine pitch, or some kind of drying nut/seed oil?  Look up the properties and compare.  You will find that the more layers you apply, the better.  You may also find that mixing these will give good results.

How about blood, tree sap, plant juice, or just plain burnishing?  Nope.  They are period but they are not very effective.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:35:52 pm »
  Pat,
           What type of pitch do you use and at what volume do you mix it with alcohol?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »
    Patrick,
                  I'm going to research the shelac. Where's the best source?
                                       Thanks

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:36 pm »
I get my shellac from the "Shellac Shack".  Google it.  They have a good variety.  I buy the buttonlac.  I suppose there are cheaper sources.  Don't buy it pre-mixed.  Buy the flakes and mix your own.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
  I used bee's wax a good bit. Alhough not very  primitive I use a hair dryer the wax melts right into the pours really well. I use to use a camp fire the dryers just a more controled heat scorce.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:13:20 am »
If y'all don't mind, I'll add an additional question: I figured when I clicked on the topic that bear grease and animal fats would come up as a sealer, and that was my initial reaction when I read the topic. So, would that expand to include the likes of lard and things like bacon grease?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 11:13:31 am »
   Yes Bryce, definitely animal fat. Do you have a favored primitive sealer?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:30:56 am by burchett.donald »

Offline agd68

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:05:17 am »
Yep, I use bacon grease,free,primitive,works well and smells real good too.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh