Author Topic: Treated lumber and heat?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Treated lumber and heat?
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:19:08 am »
I was going to use up some old treated 2 x 6 on new forms today. Then I got thinking (thats never good) that maybe I shouldnt use treated lumber if I am going to use my heat gun on it? Fumes? Anytbody use treated lumber for forms?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Treated lumber and heat?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:38:02 am »
Probably shouldn't use treated lumber if you will be working in an enclosed area, Pearlie. Especially the older stuff. They use a form of arsnic as the preservative and you sure don't want to breath that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:09:21 pm »
Yah, I wouldn't use treated lumber for any heat application either. Why risk it? Board lumber is so cheap, it's not worth the potential hazard. I know you're not suppossed to burn treated lumber as firewood.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:49:35 pm »
  I don't have any experience with forms or heat treating yet, but I would have to agree with adb and Pat B.  The treated lumber will give off a toxic vapor when burned or when it is exposed to heat as high as the heat-gun will give off.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
Go for it Pearl
Its a real smokey mess !
You will love having to redo them after the smoke clears !!
Or I can bring you one that is not clear burned up so you can try it out without all the work yourself !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »
  By when I heated staves and bows I made 3 cauls out of treated 2x6's but I had strips of 3 1/6 th wood screwed over mine. To give it a well rounded surface. Mine were old I never really noticed vapors. I used mine for 6 or 7 years. But I 'm sure the heat right on the wood would'nt be to good to breath.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:22 pm »
Pearl
I forgot to tell ya the smoke turns that yellow wood to a nice burnt orange color like Chevy used on there 70's trucks !
But if any of that wood is 2x? x 3- 6ft long save it I want to make a bench for Marty and I to work on bow while we are at our events !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:16:20 pm »
Not a good idea. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!