Author Topic: Attempt at Native-Looking Arrows  (Read 3933 times)

Offline MetisLifeguard

Attempt at Native-Looking Arrows
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:16:29 pm »
I know they are much too long to be for a Native Bow, but this is what I made a little while ago. The shape of the feather, the field point and, the sinew (though fake), makes it look sort of the same as some in a book I have.

A leopard never changes it's spots. It just learns to hunt a different way

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Attempt at Native-Looking Arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:34:55 pm »
Lookin' pretty good.  Only critique I have is to maybe run your wrapping up to just under your nock slot.  This will help the nock not to split when loosed.  Keep it up, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »
They should work great.

Offline MetisLifeguard

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:12:16 pm »
Lookin' pretty good.  Only critique I have is to maybe run your wrapping up to just under your nock slot.  This will help the nock not to split when loosed.  Keep it up, dpgratz

Thanks for the advice :)

I tried that though. When i went to tie the sinew just below the nock, it ended up pulling it down and I wasn't able to move it.

Oh well, learning curve

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:35:57 pm »
like those blue fletches.
what sorta wood ya using?
wild women don't get the blues

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 05:41:03 pm »
Your artificial sinew builds up pretty thick in front of your fletching, sometimes that can skin up your bow hand if you aren't shooting off a rest.  Next set of arrows try splitting the artificial sinew down to smaller components.  You'll use about a 5th as much sinew and save your knuckle to boot!

Love the blue color.  did you dye them or buy then that color?  I can imagine two blue and one black on a dark stained shaft....niiiice!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:48:18 am »
  Great looking arrows and keep up the good work. It's great to see a young man at the age of 16 interested in archery. What kinda bow you shoot'n them beauties out of? Bet they fly just fine.
 Looks like your hooked now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:51:30 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline MetisLifeguard

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »
like those blue fletches.
what sorta wood ya using?

I'm using either cedar or poplar. Don't remember which at the moment. I have some Birch Shafts I'm going to use for my new bows' arrows.

Offline MetisLifeguard

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »
Your artificial sinew builds up pretty thick in front of your fletching, sometimes that can skin up your bow hand if you aren't shooting off a rest.  Next set of arrows try splitting the artificial sinew down to smaller components.  You'll use about a 5th as much sinew and save your knuckle to boot!

Love the blue color.  did you dye them or buy then that color?  I can imagine two blue and one black on a dark stained shaft....niiiice!

Thanks for the advice :)

I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next batch. I bought them that color, I liked them alot too :P

Offline MetisLifeguard

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »
  Great looking arrows and keep up the good work. It's great to see a young man at the age of 16 interested in archery. What kinda bow you shoot'n them beauties out of? Bet they fly just fine.
 Looks like your hooked now.

Thank you! I definitely will keep up shooting :)

I started archery a little while after Agincourtwarb0w did. He got me back into it after I kind of let the dream of shooting a bow and arrow fade before I found out it was actually legal to have or shoot one.

I have a bow from woodbows.com. It's a Native American Linen-backed Cherokee Style Longbow. 35# @ 28"
**It shoots amazingly and is quite fun

I have another bow coming to me from Jay Redhawk in South Dakota. It's a plains indian horsebow. Don't know what tribe it is from yet but hell keep me posted. Its 50# @ 22"

**I can't wait to get and shoot this one!! :)

Agincourtwarb0w (Jake) is also making me a laminated warbow sometime after Christmas and I plan on buying my own Wytch Elm stave from Norway for him to turn into a 100# self bow. I plan on joining the CWBS and doing some native shooting along the side.

As you can most obviously tell. I'm hooked :)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 10:15:45 am »
  Sounds like you got it all planned out. Enjoy and have fun, that's what it's all about.
                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 08:36:04 pm »
Nice arrows and it sounds like you definately got the bug, look forward to seeing more work from ya! welcome and thanks for shareing!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Scowler

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »
They definitly look better than my first attempts at arrow making.  Well done!  Besides the other critiques I would say pay attention to the spacing of your sinew wraps which spiral down the fletchings, they look a bit uneven.  I've seen several pictures of Caddo arrows which use a similar wrapping technique.  Several of your tapers look a bit "rough".  Did you use a modern taper tool or a sharp knife (ancient taper tool)?  As far as the lengh of your arrows many tribes in the Northeast and Southeast used long (28"+) arrows.  Good luck.     

TurtleCreek

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »
Great lookin' arrows