Author Topic: hunting with thumb rings  (Read 3289 times)

Offline luke the drifter

hunting with thumb rings
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:44 am »
this is out of curiosity.  Does anyone hunt with thumb rings?  are there any pros and cons with using one?  other than the obvious, how different is it?

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
Re: hunting with thumb rings
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:19:22 am »
hello Luke ,, i hunt with the thumb ring, i have noticed that when it gets really cold  my ring fits somewhat loosely, so i have to put a small PC of leather inside to make it snug.  some times i also use a solid leather ring.. i dint see any cons but one of the pros is you can get two shots off quicker if your holding arrows in your bow hand....

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:49:41 pm »
I dont shoot with one, but I tried it on one bow. I read somewhere that the thumb release tends to cause a little limb twist. Don't know if thats true or not,, I guess that's another question. The one bow I had was a shorty, about 45", it shot great with three fingers for a long time. Then I thought I would try the thumb release, and on the third shot it broke on me :(. Haven't shot thumb release since.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »
You will draw about 2-3 inches further with a thumb ring by "feel" as long as you're not one of those guys that feel that three separate parts of your shooting hand need to be touching your face somewhere.
 That's probably why the bow broke.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:08:43 pm »
Dave;

The horn bow I got from James was tillered to shoot with a thumb ring with the strong limb up or flip it over to the weak limb up and shoot two fingers under. The reason your bow broke was maybe it was not  tillered for a thumb ring. I'm now confident enough to hunt with mine with a thumb ring and really think it is a clean, smoother release then fingers. My biggest problem was getting arrows that were tuned so I could tell if erratic flight was me, meaning my form shooting the ring or the arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JBL

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »
I hunt and shoot with a thumb ring and the biggest advantage is the thumb draw increases your draw by a couple of inches.  Another is the release is so smooth.  As my daughter says, "it is just a different release."