Author Topic: primitive small game tips from stone?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

primitive small game tips from stone?
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:38:58 am »
I recently saw an article in the bow builders book about some of the earliest arrows.  The stone tips were not the long dagger point but a broad curved blade or even flat like a little spatula.

Has anyone made and tried this?

I'm brainstormsing small game point designs.  I like the Judo concept and looking around at what I have.  I have a partial roll of spring steel wire.  I may try bundling 4 pieces togeather and putting dog leg bends into them.  Or I have some salvaged stainless bike spokes and 16 penny duplex nails. maybe wrap the spokes around the nailwith the two tags sticking out then bind with sinew and glue leaving the head unground?

I get more ideas than I have time for stuff to build. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: primitive small game tips from stone?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:45:17 am »
PB, Have you never checked out "small game points-sticky" @ the top of this page!   :o 
Jeez, you'll be excited when you do.  Wish I could see your face as you start scrolling down.  You've got the right idea, use what you have.  I have a bowl full of pieces for small game points just waitin to be put together.  On another note, the stone chisel tip is one of the oldest designs of stone arrow heads.  I've often ponderd using them, since that's about what I get by the end of a knapping session.  ::) I did get a nice chunck of Texas down to 211 grains tonight.  Looks like a long drill point because of a hard spot and some stacking...any ways, go back to the arrows page and look for "sticky" @ the top.   ;) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 02:17:07 am »
Yea I was looking through those.  I like to complicate everything and "be different".

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
I think i know what you are talking about Prarie Bowyer.  I recently read something about those type of points but I cant remember where.  I too want to try some out sometime.  Let me know how it goes if you do make some!  Good luck
Aim Small...Hit Small