Author Topic: Dimension help  (Read 1328 times)

Offline amishfoot

Dimension help
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:47:17 pm »
I would like some help with dimensions. I want to make a bamboo backed hickory bow that is 50# @ 28 inches. I was thinking somewhere around 66" ntn but i would be glad to try anything someone would like to offer
The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Dimension help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:00 am »
Yes, especially if you haven't made many bows.  66" is a good length.  Page 105 in the Bowyer's Bible #1 shows typical limb widths at mid-limb to reach 50 lbs.  If you looked up hickory it would give you a good place to start.  With the bamboo backing you could go a bit less.  I think if you ran parallel out of the handle fades at 1-3/4 inches to mid-limb then tapered to 1/2 to 3/4 inch tips you would have  a good start.  Tiller from there.

Good Luck!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:30:19 am »
Hickory isn't great in compression and bamboo is excellent in tension so it would be a good idea to trap the bamboo fairly heavily or else you are likely to get a good bit of set. Also hickory likes to be dry dry dry!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:48:29 am »
Hickory isn't great in compression and bamboo is excellent in tension so it would be a good idea to trap the bamboo fairly heavily or else you are likely to get a good bit of set. Also hickory likes to be dry dry dry!

You forgot a couple of dry's .that stuff really needs to be dry >:( don't ask :'(
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline amishfoot

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:03:34 pm »
thank you thats what ill try and will those dimensons still be good if i put a bit of reflex in it?
The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me