Author Topic: tillering tree confusion  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Dazv

tillering tree confusion
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:31:14 am »
hello lads.

so i have just built a new tillering tree and I'm going to put a wooden yard stick so i can see the draw length. This is where my confusion comes in so draw length is measured from the back of the bow. So how can i put on my yard stick and have it so it gives me an accurate reading as none of my bows have the same length handle. dose this make sense????

thanks allot

Darren

Offline Dazv

Re: tillering tree confusion
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 07:41:39 am »
I just had a thought what about if i just had it clamped on to the tillering tree so i can raise or lower it to the height of the bow. What do you think???

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:43:12 am »
Ya but they are all the same from the back of the bow,I just mesured down and started 6 inches,the thickness does come into play a little on my board , [ Thick handle/thin or bend through] but it's not enough for me to worry about, It will get me real close.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:07:16 am »
I just run a strip of masking take down the rope and pulley that I use. I lay the stave in it and write the measurements in 2 inch increments. The tape strip can be easily  pulled off and replaced for the next time. Winter is coming and I'm starting to feel the urge to build some bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:30:15 am »
You can cut a slot in the yardstick  to put your screw in  !
Then loosen the screws and slide it as needed!
Or be like the rest of us and don't worry about a half a inch or 1 lb !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:39:06 am »
I write the approximate draw length on my tree. I find I don't get an accurate poundage measurement  if I check a bow hanging on my tree, could be the pulley system. I keep my scale hanging in a different location and check poundage with an arrow shaft marked precisely in inches.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 12:22:30 pm »
Howdy Dazv,

When I set up my tillering board, I went with the AMO standard...

==============================================
AMO DRAW LENGTH STANDARD

For Manufacturers
Draw length is a specified distance, or the distance at the archer’s full draw, from
the nocking point on the string to the pivot point of the bow grip (or the theoretical
vertical projection of a tangency line to the pivot point parallel to the string)
plus 1 3/4”. Draw length from pivot point shall be designed at DLPP and shall be
called TRUE DRAW LENGTH.
EXAMPLE: 26 1/4” DLPP plus 1 3/4” is the equivalent of 28” draw.
=============================================

I believe it says that you should measure 1-3/4" above the rear (Belly side) of the handle.  So, I measured from the base of where I set my bow into the slot of my tillering board and  measured up 1-3/4".  I used that as my zero mark.  That is where my measuring stick begins to measure my draw length.  That's 1-3/4" above the bottom of the slot is the beginning of my measuring stick.

I hope that is helpful,
Canoe 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:30:17 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:36:55 pm »
I set a yard stick up where it is about 1 1/2" above the bow rest. This is close enough for me. If I ware making bows to sell it might be a different matter but for me this way is just fine.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 02:11:18 pm »
thanks so much for all of the input guys.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:03:16 pm »
   MEASURE down the block of wood that holds the (BOW) handle of the bow. Cut the yard stick off. That measurement.  Screw to your tree up tight under the handle block. I used this same way ever sence I started building bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING