Author Topic: Closest thing to obsidian....NY  (Read 3885 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Closest thing to obsidian....NY
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:32:05 pm »
Hi guys wanted to share with u some knapping material I located real close its slag glass said to be a from early 1800's.  Its as close to obsidian as we have here in NY...it ranges in colors from brown to black and green swirls ...suprisingly enough that most of it is solid with little to no bubbles!!  Sorry about the pics I had a hard time editing them to fit the screen.  I will try and get better pics and with some points or blades made from it.   Thanks guys!

Russ
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:38:06 pm by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Closest thing to obsidian....NY
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:46:15 pm »
very nice!

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:46:46 pm »
Wow..those are cool russ,that one with the clear swirl is sweet. Hope it flakes well for ya. Thanks for showing em.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:16:43 am »
nice, I got two 5 gal buckets from a glass blowerwhen they cleaned out one of the furnaces, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:30 am »
Looks pretty sweet ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:14:14 pm »
I did get to make a real nice blade about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide fluted on one side and the second flute broke the piece...the way it goes until i figure out how to work this stuff...guess Im used to beating on the hard stuff my muscle memory says to swing for the fence but you have to adjust on easier material... off to work will try and post a pic later...have a great day boys!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:00:19 am »
That is some really colorful stuff. Can't wait to see a point.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:09:21 am »
Thanx for the comments guys I will try and get some better pix up so u'all can see what I'm working with here!  I found this stuff in and along a river bank that runs through a small town.  If I had a shovel I could have dug loose some big solid chunks and there is probably over a ton still sitting there so I have something to look forward to locally.  We just had a freak snow storm that about a foot covered the ground making it difficult to go back for more.  Anyway thanks again for the comments and if someone wants to try a piece let me know maybe we can work something out!  Have a good day!!!

Russ

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 12:44:50 am »
Cool Stuff indeed...
And what a Great Find!

Gonna have to start talking to the Glass Foundries around here to see what I can find...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX