Author Topic: sap or heart  (Read 1768 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
sap or heart
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:24:31 am »
Hey. Im wondering if I am able to use the heartwood of my hickory for arrows or just the sapwood???
Thanks, thad
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: sap or heart
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:45:54 am »
Since I have had no problem using either for bows, I would imagine both would make excellent arrow shafting.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:05:55 am »
You can use the heart wood for bows :o man I wish I knew that a few months ago :'( live and learn I was under the impression that only the sap wood would work. Man that os awsome !!
Thanks jw ;)

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 04:11:38 pm »
I'd pay more attention to the grain orientation than anything. Try to get it running the length of the arrow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:50:44 pm »
There are quite a few examples of hickory arrow shafts in museums made from split or riven wood.  If you can get your hands on some 4x4 or larger chunks of straight grain hickory you can split it out in 1/2 inch thick slabs, then split the 1/2 inch slabs into 1/2 inch squares.  Once you have the square stock split try your hand at heat straightening the worst of the curves out.  Once you have fairly straight squares, you use a small handplane to shave off the square corners to make octagons, then shave off the corners of the octagons to make a 16-a-gon (or whatever that is called).  At that point, using 100 grit sandpaper you can get them pretty near perfect rounds...voila!  Arrow shafts. 

If you are ornery enough, you can do all that using stone and bone tools like those that went before us.  If they can do it, we can do it. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 05:17:55 pm »
Thanks again, been so involved in trying knapping points(without much success )that I have been neglecting bow and arrow I think it is time to come up for air and get back to the wooden projects