Author Topic: Curly maple  (Read 6053 times)

Offline wberry85

Curly maple
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:14:05 pm »
Anyone ever made a bow from curly maple?  I see it all the time in gun stocks but never seen a bow made out of it.

youngbowyer

Re: Curly maple
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »
probably. I just finished a bow form home depot maple which is supposingly not dense enough to make a bow. Give it a try. Keep the limbs wide.

Offline wberry85

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »
I wish I had a piece large enough to make a bow.  Fine curly maple is very expensive.  Gun stocks even in rough form go for close to $200.  I have only completed one selfbow so I wouldnt dare take a chance with a $200 stave!

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:21 pm »
get some dense maple form home depot. Works pretty good. Go for a pyramid deign. 2 inches from the fades to 1 3/4 at midlimb then an aggressive taper to 1/2 at the nocks. If you have some woods you can acces look for hickory and any other hardwood saplings.

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »
I have seen a few and they are beautiful. But that much bow quality curly maple is exspensive, hard to find. And most likely, will not have the performance of Osage or some of the other known good choices. But ifin ya build one I sure would like to see it. Curly Mape is always a Head Turner.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:55:02 am »
Curly maple is beautiful and expensive as stated.  I've seen a few bows made of it, but all were backed.  I've only used it for gunstocks, but I can tell you for certain that it would have to backed.  The curl in the grain that gives it the beauty would be next to impossible chase.  Use of a draw knife usually ends up hooking the curls and tearing out chunks.  Be very careful and only use the sharpest rasps in you're arsenal. Just my 2 cents,
                                                                                                                                       Josh

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 03:59:14 am »
Compression fractures happen to appear right where the curls are, be it maple, purple heart or even - as just happend to me - ipé.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:41:20 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:11 am »
I have only seen it on Galss backed bows,it is beautiful for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:19:52 pm »
heres one , i have another i have never put on here , ill try to get a pick in a min

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 01:46:04 pm »
heres the other one hickory backed curly maple pyramid . 60 inches

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »
Ken those are gorgeous......show off  ;)

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 12:13:42 am »
Nice job ken! Sweet looking bows. Do they shoot well?

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:40:43 am »
El Destructo made a backed curly maple paddle bow about a year and a half ago, go back in the BOM threads and you'll find it.  Almost forgot; if you make one, make it wide.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:46:33 am by zenmonkeyman »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:35 pm »
That was a bird's eye maple paddle bow, wasn't it?  I remember it - it was stunning to look at. :D
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 12:04:51 am »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson