Author Topic: What type of wood to start  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Bitterguy

What type of wood to start
« on: October 16, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »
I made a post a while ago about wanting to get started, but then life got a hold of me with school, band, and cross country. But now that cross country and band are coming to close with our last couple of games I want to try and actually make a bow like I've been wanting to. The problem is wood. I live in PA about 2 hours away from Pittsburgh, there are a lot of woods near where I live but the problem is they're owned mainly by the school and parks and I don't think it would be to safe of me to walk near the school/park with a hatchet or saw. Having said that, what sort of wood should I be looking for and is it alright to take something like a fallen log and use that for staves?

Something else I have been looking into as I read a bit into my bowers bible is pickaxe handle bows. I was discussing that with my dad and he brought up a good point, aren't pickaxe handles to thick to make bows out of?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

blackhawk

Re: What type of wood to start
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »
Hi bitterguy....where exactly in PA do you live. I live just north of Pitt in beaver county. Woods to look for is hickory,hophornbeam,elm,white ash,black locust,hard maple,white oak,and there is Osage here n there,and some other species as well. But those mentioned should be the easiest to find(except Osage) n locate and best suited for a novice.

Also you can start out by finding a red oak board from lowes or home depot,or better yet go to a local lumber yard and pick out a straight grained hickory board.

There also might be a piece of wood on my rack with your name on it ;)

Oh..and the only wood id take from a fallen log or tree on the ground is Osage,yew,and maybe black locust.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:51:11 pm by blackhawk »

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »
I live in Blair county, Duncansville area. We have what we believe is a black walnut tree in our backyard (due to the fact that there are black walnuts EVERYWHERE in out yard), i know my dad won't be willing to cut that tree down, but can i just find a nice thick branch or does it have to be from the trunk?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:13:58 pm »
You will get varying wiews of fallen/already cut wood. I've made bows from Hazel I've found cut down by kids in the local woods.
The bottom line is any wood is better than no wood, and it's surprising how, once you get started, you will find/aquire more wood.
Good luck
Del
(Google 'delsbows' to see my stuff)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »
I'd go get yourself a nice redoak and make a bow out of that since it is cheap and boards are a geeat way to perfect your tillering skills.. Plus a good board will make a bow that can last for many years...

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:12:00 pm »
What dimensions should I use for my boards? I want to start off with something simple like a long bow but later on I want to make a recurve because I honestly just love how they look. If it with the dimensions, I'm 6'1", 15 years old, and weigh 165lbs (a bit above average build).

Edit: Well until further notice the old man wont let me get on a ladder and cut down any branches from the tree in my backyard
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:05:37 pm by Bitterguy »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:55:54 pm »
You can use a limb but I would only use the top side, and possibly a larger diameter to reduce crown if you cut it let it season in the mean time while it drys work on your ax handle bow ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:36 am »
Something to to remember is the wood you cut will have to cure which takes time. As others have said you can start out with a red oak board that will be ready to work now.By the time you have your tools, work place, and methods smoothed out you could have a red oak bow and dry wood.

Also, PM Blackhawk cause he was basically offering you a stave. He is a good guy, take him up on his offer.

Lane

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:29:01 pm »
Something to to remember is the wood you cut will have to cure which takes time. As others have said you can start out with a red oak board that will be ready to work now.By the time you have your tools, work place, and methods smoothed out you could have a red oak bow and dry wood.

Also, PM Blackhawk cause he was basically offering you a stave. He is a good guy, take him up on his offer.

Lane

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I was out of it yesterday so I didn't notice.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:01:30 pm »
Pm sent

Hope we can work something out ;)

Offline BowRaven

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:04:58 pm »
I'd follow up on that PM because you will probably get a friend, a little help and a stave which for a lad your age is indespensible.

That aside the red oak board bow is an excellent place to get started. You must have straight grain lines on all sides. YOU must also HAVE straight grain lines on all sides! :)
You can get a board from Home depot or lowes. Draw the shape out on the bow with approx 3/4 wide handle that is 4-5 inches long. Then flare out to the width of the board. Then from there straight down to a 1/2 tip. These are rough dimensions simplified and will overbuild the bow.  You can reduce the thickness with a bandsaw as well or you can just tiller from there.

The Boyers bibles are excellent. I would also recommend "The Bent Stick". Much more concise and there is a section about boards and what to look for. You can also get a picture with the dimensions in a section called the "Over built bow" .

All this is an excellent way to learn because it is cheap. Once you start to tiller you will learn what you are doing. It is all theory until you see them bend.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »
It is all theory until you see them bend.

That is dripping with truth! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »
What dimensions should I use for my boards? I want to start off with something simple like a long bow but later on I want to make a recurve because I honestly just love how they look. If it with the dimensions, I'm 6'1", 15 years old, and weigh 165lbs (a bit above average build).

Edit: Well until further notice the old man wont let me get on a ladder and cut down any branches from the tree in my backyard

Cool Im 15 too, 6 foot and about 140 punds... As far as boards go I always either use 1x2x6  (long d bows) or 1x3x6 (pyramid bows)... Both work well just remember that straight grain is a must!!!!!

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 12:36:51 pm »
I'm gonna see if my old man will run me up to either home depot or lowes over the weekend so I can go pick up a board. I really want to get started in this now haha
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 01:48:48 pm »
Well my dad and I went to home depot, and now i have a 1" x 3" x 7' board beggin' to become a pyramid bow. Any thought as to where to get some good string and wax so i don't have a stringless bow sitting there once I'm done makin it?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.