Author Topic: Black locust: cut...now what?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Black locust: cut...now what?
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:58:21 pm »
I am looking for advice on seasoning black locust.  I cut a large branch yesterday and want to get a pair of billets from it. 
I was thinking of rough cutting out the billets to speed up the drying time, as that is what I have been doing with vine maple. 

Also, those seem like really wide growth rings to me, but I have only worked with vine maple so far.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Black locust: cut...now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:46:21 pm »
QUICK SEAL THE ENDS :o
noel
PS; those are thick growth rings ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 01:51:11 am »
Id cut it off a couple inches below that crotch, then split it into billets,seal the ends,and then wait for em to dry in a year or two(if your not in dire need for wood),but if in a need for dry wood sooner then you can rip the bark and sapwood off to the first heartwood ring,then seal the back as well with shellac.

Hopefully you have enough length from a couple inches below that crotch to the base. You need at least 36" of length billets for adult bows as a general rule.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:27:45 am »
I would also go a couple inches below the branch splitbefore splittting. The grain will likely be running a bit weird there. I would split them now and remove sapwood, chase a ring and seal the ends and back. You could also then reduce the thickness by removing wood from the future belly. Just make sure you leave enough to make your bow! Try to keep the billets rectangular so that they dry evenly and are less likely to warp. I've never had any problems with BL checking but then it never gets below 60% humidity here.....

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:27:46 pm »
Ok, so I sealed the ends with some latex paint I had laying around as soon as I saw fishfinders post.  I think I will let this one sit for awhile. I might be able to cut some more locust here pretty soon.  I will see if I can get some with a little slower growth. And I will be sure to seal the ends soon after cutting.  BTW, is latex paint worthy of sealing duties?
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:35:29 pm »
i think it would be, you can also use wood glue,  i might be wrong, but with woods like black locust and osage orange, large growth rings are good
noel

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:27 pm »
Thanks again fishfinder.  I took a look at the latex paint on ends and it looks like a second coat would be a good idea.  Looks a little thin and "brearthable" with just one coat. 

I am a novice here, and have been trying to read up on basics here and in TBB vols 1-3. I thought with Osage it was the proportion of early to late growth and growth rings were irrelevant?  I cant recall reading anything about locust, but I hope you are right fishfinder.  :D

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:02:00 pm »
you are right about the ratio being important, generally though thick growth rings will push that ratio in you favor, usually......
noel

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:50 am »
OK, I see.  That makes sense.  I guess I will find out about wide growth rings in black locust when I make a bow out of this branch.

Looks like there is enough wood below that crotch to get a pair of billets.