Author Topic: bloodwood?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline missilemaster

bloodwood?
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:09:36 am »
I was just wondering if anyone had any information on bloodwood? I was at Rockler today and I spotted it on the wall. It was straight grained, heavy, and a beautiful redish orange color. With a price tag of $45 for a 3/4x5x8 ft. board, I want more info before
 I think about buying it. Thanks!
                                                                          Cody W.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: bloodwood?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:01:23 am »
I'll be following this also.  As of now I only work in the woods I KNOW are known for success.  Hickory, Osage, Ipe and Birch.  I only added the last one becasue of two reasons.  1 the Tred Barta bows are cored with it, and it's relatively plentiful. 2 It is ranked next to hickory on a list of density and tensile/shear strength ratings. 

I dn't remember where I saw that list of American hard woods and their test results for the various categories.  But I'd say try to find that list and the same info for the wood in question.  Personaly I only use the expensive woods in risers and tip overlays becasue even with good wood some can explode.  That is alot of wasted wood.

I've seen a purple heart bow with carbon fiber backing on You Tube.  It was kinda neat.

Personaly I bought a bunch of "lyptus" because it was hard and straight.  Every single bow I made from that board broke.  It was > 2x the cost of hickory.

mikekeswick

Re: bloodwood?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:31:36 am »
Go for it, Bloodwood will work just fine as a belly or core. I've just got a large piece of rosewood and i'm trying to think of a special bow design for it. ::) I've made a hickory backed purpleheart elb before I really trapped the backing as purpleheart wants to chrysal.