Author Topic: Head Scratcher..LOL  (Read 2097 times)

Offline MLombard

Head Scratcher..LOL
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:15:57 pm »
Before I ask this, I have to thank everyone that helped me out with the Ring thing a few threads back..Here is a new one,  I recently came into a Tanned Snake skin..exactly 17ft of it.  Its I believe a tanned Anaconda.  Its is more leather than anything.  My question is, how would this work for backing in place of say Rawhide?

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
Re: Head Scratcher..LOL
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:19:45 pm »
Wow can you post a pic of that? But as far as I can tell, people usually use snake skin as decoration only whereas rawhide can provide some security for the back on the bow. But if this anaconda skin is as epic as it sounds, it might work effectively as both security and decoration.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:54:04 pm »
If it were rawhide you could use it for protection and for decoration. Being that it is tanned it will act like a sponge and absorbe moisture even with a finish over it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »
If you can't use it on a bow,then you can do other things with it.....like a loin cloth :laugh:

Offline MLombard

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »
Too bad it left cased...lol  I didn't think of the sponge thing...Maybe a quiver of some sort or decoration.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »
I bet it would make one SUPER sweet quiver if you line the inside with heavier leather. Arm guards are another thing you could make. I love using materials around the shop to whip things up I need. Depending on the width, you could make a sweet possibles bag/quiver combo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »
Lol blackhawk. By the sounds of that skin, he sure can. MLombard what does tanned snake skin feel like? Was it brain tanned? If so did you use the snake's brain? How big is a snake brain?
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline MLombard

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »
Actually it was bought at a Estate sale..this guy was selling alot of trophys and other neat things that he had picked up over his years of traveling and hunting around the world.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:30:13 pm »
That's pretty cool. Who knows what the story is behind that skin lol.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »
I agree with Pat, tanned snake skin just isn't good for backing

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »
A tanned snakeskin is definately not like rawhide, and will not add any structural support to your bow. I have used tanned cobra skins to back a bow, but they were very thin. Decoration only!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 02:29:20 pm »
Would it make a grip cover material?

Saw an Anaconda skin here north of Houston a few months back.
It too was tanned and the guy wanted too much... for any use I might find for it.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 03:15:12 pm »
Cowboy boots!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC