Author Topic: Bow length  (Read 11311 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow length
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 01:24:39 am »
My first short(60") static recurve took me forever to harness. I had been shooting straight limb bows 64" to 66" and for my 26" draw they were very stable shooters in the 55# range. My osage ELB that is 70" long is extremely stable. The first 3 arrows out of her were within 4" of each other at 20yrds. Thats with a tillering string, no string nock and unfinished handle. I think a bow with heavier physical weight would be more stable than a lighter weight bow(everything else equal). Shorter bows recover quicker than longer bows(everything else equal) because there is less length (and mass)to move...but it all comes down to the right design for the wood type or better yet, the right wood type for the design.
      Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 01:34:10 am »
       I am a believer in the man tall bow, give or take a little. I tend to make most of my bows in the 60" range but this last year have moved them out to more like 64 to 68 and like them better. Steve

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 01:46:28 am »
                                          I make "shorties" and like ta shoot 'em. But when it comes ta huntin' Iam with Steve . Like 'em 64" ta 68"..................bob

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 06:46:33 am »
I found that 64" for my 26"draw is as good as it gets  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Longbows for hunting rule  ;)

BTW I'm in the process of making my next hunting bow, and it's gonna be a sinew 58"er,....and I'm really worried if I'm going to be able to hunt it, so far all the misses came from short bows in hunting situations,...but boy they shoot good on the target range ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 07:06:09 am »
I'm with badger I use to make mine around 60 thought it would be better for hunting but have found I like 64/66 better even 68 ant bad.Seems to be a little smoother and don't stack nearly as
much.I usually start most if I have the wood at 68 and near completion I cut off a couple of in. and
tweak my tiller,just a little insurance. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 07:18:15 pm »
Well, in all fairness this bow is more for the fun of building a nice little shortie than anything else. I have a good strong longbow at 68"- as everyone said, it is very stable. Hey, if it isn't what I'm looking for, then it'll make a fun target bow, or possibly a squirrel machine ;)?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 07:59:16 pm »
Kegan, I was always a straight limbed bow kinda guy with bows in the 64 -66" lengths but for some reason lately (last 2 years) I've been building mostly static recurves(I guess some have static reflexed tips) in the 60" range. I still like the 64-66" bows and plan to make one soon. I have also started a 50", sinew backed, bendy handled, ERC bow and a 74" ash ALB.   Variety IS! the spice of life! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gpw

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 10:35:54 am »
Being 6'3"... we like our bows @ 72"...I know it's not the optimum bow length for speed , but shoots accurately and really casts those heavier/longer arrows ... little finger pinch , and smooth stackless draw is a bonus...Quiet too...We limit our Primitive hunting range at 15 yards... anything in that distance , and it's ours ...hahahahahahaa ;D

PS , our favorite bow is a 72" ELB (flatted D belly )made of hickory backed  eastern red cedar 54lbs@28"...with 3" glued in Perry reflex... Fast ...shoot where ya look ..Light weight(mass), deadly ...killed a mess of foam deer...hahaha  True !!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:45:12 am by gpw »