Author Topic: got a good scare  (Read 2075 times)

Offline recurve shooter

got a good scare
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:03 pm »
well, like mullet said in his post, cellphones and driving are realy a problem. My friend, my dad and i went and made a camping/squirrel hunting/scouting trip this weekend on some public land. sunday morning we killed a few squirrels and were driving from one part of the WMA to the other, where our camp was. well there was a string of bicyclists doing one of those realy long rides, so the guy in front of us stopped waitin on a gap between bikes to get in his driveway. my friend stopped and waited on him to turn. i was sitting in the back of the truck against the cab.

watching the big dodge coming up behind us (we were in a ford ranger), i was thinkin "man that truck is goin fast, must be like me and never realy give himself enough time to stop."
then i was like "well, that truck is getting pretty close, better start slowing down soon...like now....oh crap"
then about twenty yards from us the driver looked up and locked up her breaks so she was only doing like 25 when she hit us.

The driver was a girl my age (18ish) and she had been lookin down at her cell phone. a baby was in the back seat of the truck in a car seat, bikes were passing 8 foot away in the other lane, not to mentinon i was riding in the truck bed. my dad had turned his head to look behind us when he heard the tires squeel so his neck got jacked up, my buddy who was drivin is just a little sore, im not even sore. had time to get ready for it. girl was fine and baby never woke up.

but man, watching a dodge coming at you at like 55 mph knowin it aint gunna stop in time is one hell of a wake up call.  :o
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: got a good scare
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »
 Glad you guys didn't get hurt bad, that could have turned out real nasty for a lot of people.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »
im really glad you were not hurt bad, its scary to think of how quickly something like that can happen
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:40:29 am »
That definitely puts things in perspective.  I bet your seeing your life and the things that really matter more clearly than ever before.  Glad everyones ok!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:31:34 am »
That definitely puts things in perspective.  I bet your seeing your life and the things that really matter more clearly than ever before.  Glad everyones ok!

defititly. it wasnt bad as it happened, but if she hadnt looked up and hit the breaks and slowed down some before she hit us it mighta hurt.  :o

but yea its just one of those things where a hundred tiny little things could have been a little different and gotten someone killed.
lets just shoot it

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:35:03 am »
[quote author=recurve shooter link=topic=28353.msg376702#msg376702 date=1317613342
but yea its just one of those things where a hundred tiny little things could have been a little different and gotten someone killed.
[/quote]
my brother also got lucky like that, he and his friend were going to rent a movie and passed in front of the road that comes off of the bridge, the woman was drunk and i think had some drug so instead of stopping she kept going and clipped the back corner of his car, if he had left 1/2 second later, his friend would have died
some things really involve too much chance
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:34:20 am »
  Back when I was teen (17) my friend wasn't so lucky. I'd stoped to turn had a 2 friends one in the back.  When we were it by this guy going about 50. My friend saw it coming and stood up to jump out but didn't make it.
  The momentum was so great we both went 20 yards. Him pushing me.  He flipped out hitting the top of the guys car. BREAKING HIS LEFT RIST, BOTH ARMS, ALSO GOT SOME SPLEN DANAGE. He was in the hospital for almost a month. When through therapy My other friends head busted the winsheld he ended up the a stiff neck for a week.
  My head pushed the rear view mirror through the window but other than that I was a right.

Glad nothing like that happen to you all.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:38:31 pm »
crooketarrow, thats rough man. im glad atleast yall wernt killed. sounds like it coulda easily been that way.

scarry place out there.
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »

Yeah, seeing a big truck coming at you at a high rate of speed and not slowing down will have the tendency to make you chew a hole in your seat! ::)  Too bad you didn't take her phone, and place it beside her baby, and ask her which one is more important?!
Glad you guys are all ok.

Wayne