Author Topic: Sinew & Hide glue, from pigs ??  (Read 10829 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Sinew & Hide glue, from pigs ??
« on: July 13, 2007, 05:30:20 am »
Well, I've never heard of it, but I'm wondering if it can be done, since thats just about all we got here ::)

...how about goats ???

Thanks

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline PatM

Re: Sinew & Hide glue, from pigs ??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 08:19:41 am »
Knox is made from pig skin. Think of it as glue that is put in food not food put on your bow.
 Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:44:52 am »
I believe Bob makes hide glue from Pig on a regular basis.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:55:37 am »
I would venture to say that any active animal will have usable sinews and you should be able to make glue from their skins. Goat rawhide is thin, strong and makes good backing material and their horns make good tip overlays.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:41:58 am »
Thanks,

...how do I store the hide ??
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:49:53 am »
In a jar in the fridge is the safest.  Since it is made from animal, it can spoil.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:07:54 pm »
I'd say either freeze it or make rawhide.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:23:50 pm »
Goat sinew should be very similar to deer. Like Pat said, freeze the hide or stretch it in a frame, flesh it thoroughly, let it dry, then scrape the hair off. 
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 02:11:28 pm »
I think he was asking how to store the glue.  It can be frozen also.  You can also leave it in the fridge for a couple of days until it congeals really good.  Then cut it into pieces and dry.  If you string the pieces on a string so they don't touch anything, they wont glue to anything.  After they are dry they can be kept indefinitely.  If you were to grind them up they would be like the dry hide glue you can buy.  You don't need to grind them though.  You can just put a piece back into a bowl and pour hot water on it to rehydrate and it is ready to use.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 03:00:05 pm »
..have to disagree with leaving hide glue out indefinitely.
I had one batch that was thoroughly dry that went bad when a fungus or some such got in the glue, turning it to a liquid that wouldn't set.

best to freeze, or nearly so, IMO.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 09:51:25 pm »
                    I have made Hawg glue fer along time. Since thats what I harvest mostly, I use it all. I crush bones and add pieces of hide. Dont bother takin' hair off just put it all on firepit in backyard. Eat most of hide without hair of course called "pork rind" yummy! ;D Put in large pot with, fish skins, heads, bones and whatever I can get at the time. Reason I try ta use fish also is IMO the fish is a bit stronger glue and mixes with the hawg stuff. Add water and a few other things and let slow boil on fire fer about 12 hours always addin' liquid as needed. Near end I start skimmin' "crap" off top and put in pail which goes in compost heap. At end of 12 hrs I have a nice glue that I pour in a pizza pan and let cool, then put in refrig ta congeal. Take out and cut inta small squares and put in bags and put in freezer. Glue is very strong. Knox gelatine is made from either hawg bone and skin  or either. FDA has approved it fer human consumption so has some additives in it. SOS, ifn ya eat Jello yer are eatin' hawg glue! :o This glue is stronger than knox gelatine. Big time "humiditee" down here so I dont leave out cause it wont really dry out and mold will grow on it. Ifn ya live in a dry climate  ya can leave out ta dry and do as Justin says. Fe my money no comparison between TB and hide, fish, bone glue. Try ta pull it off wood after it dries good, surprise, surprise! :o :o Its really not much work for what the benefits ya get. No tricks really. I use a good finish on sinew, glue combination thats natural but thats another story ;) ;D ;D......bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 06:33:04 am »
Bob sounds to me that with all yer experience(s) that a book would be in order.
I'm not kidding, yer a source of considerable primitive do-it-yerself info that should be preserved and passed on
to next generation. Have you considered doing a book?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 07:26:25 am »
Bob, how about sinew out of porkers tendons ??

...c'mon give us the secret finish ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 12:05:43 pm »
Manny, For many years, I believe Jay Massey used French Polish on his bows. That is a mixture of shellac and linseed oil, hand rubbed into his sinew backed(and self) bows, over and over again. Later on he started using what we now call Massey finish; epoxy thinned with a solvent and applied by hand(a soft rag).   One story I heard is that after capsizing his boat and dumping everything overboard in the river, it was 3 days before he found his sinew backed bow down river and there were no ill effects from the 3 day soak after using the Massey finish.     
  In the 2 sinew backed hunting bows I have made, one hickory the other osage, humidity changed the draw weight tremendously over a few weeks time, in both cases at least 20# swing. I used Massey finish, Tru-Oil and spray poly of both bows. If I had dunked them in a river, the finishes probably would have preventer water from entering the wood but R/H is a whole other creature. I believe the only way to maintain the integrity of the draw weight is to keep your sinew backed bow in a hot box between used, if you live in a high humidity area. The Eastern Woodland Natives didn't use sinew backed bows. They weren't practical for them. In western states, where the R/H is lower, they were used.    Pat