Author Topic: simple forge  (Read 5000 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
simple forge
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:18:55 pm »
i was wondering if anyone has any VERY simple plans for a small forge for making things like bodkins as i think im hooked after trying a little with a fire that could barley get hot enough, what i was thinking was a fire proof brick lined pit with a pipe going to the bottom where i would have  a blower attached, would this work?
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: simple forge
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:30:37 pm »
Here's what I started with.  Very simple, and gets HOT!  Too hot in some cases.  You can't do long soaks at a controlled temperature, but for simple, plain-carbon steels, it does the trick.  It's two pans with the handles removed.  The top one has holes drilled into the bottom of it to allow for air to pass through.  I used grilling charcoal for the heat source.

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:02:28 pm »
thanks ;D, i might do that
noel

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »
A fine example of using what you got.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:26:54 pm »
I'd like to get my hands on some fire brick to make something like what this guy has got, but I'm not sure where to get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNC-7WqYh0&feature=BFa&list=SP1301E452A77BAA57&lf=list_related

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:25 am »
Agreat site for forge info is paleoplanet.com. One thing I read in the knife making threads is you should not use BBQ briquetts. they give off chemicals that can affect the steel.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:02:02 am »
The small 1 or 2 brick forges would work great for what you're wanting to do.  All you need is a soft firebrick and a propane torch.  I used one to forge knives for a while, but built myself a new charcoal forge so I could knock out bigger blades.

Wayne Coe sells the soft firebrick for $3 each (I think).  I'll look up his contact info if anybody would like.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 01:34:13 pm »
Cameroon,  Find a local potter, they will have some old ones or can lead you in the right direction.  I've got a bunch, enough for two large kilns, so if anyone has a photo of one of these, I've been looking for something to use these on. I got them from a potter who was moving to Ashville and didn't want to take them.

4est, great idea, I may try this just for fun.  I usually use an acetylene torch to heat my stuff, turning it off after each heating, gets to bothersome, but I'm glad I have it.

(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:46:35 pm »
Hey 4est, that's just plain ghetto-cool!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SyF

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:56 pm »
fishfinder401, here's a picture of my foundry. It'll work just fine as a small forge.

If you are a good scrounger it should cost nothing. I didn't have time, needed to make some small castings right away and ended up buying some fittings. Cost ~$50.

Firebricks are ~$3 each at wood burning stove stores. Just make a tunnel and send the flame in one side. Play around with the bricks until you get the heat distributed right. Alternatively, you can make your own refractory material. There are lots of recipes on the internet, but I've used vermiculite with a small amount of portland cement in the past.

The burner hooks up to my barbecue's propane tank. It has a tiny hole that forms a jet of fuel. The jet draws in air for natural aspiration. I don't think you need forced air for a small forge. Mine will slump steel if I'm not paying attention. Again, there are lots of plans on the internet for these types of burners. There is no regulator, just a needle valve. Try not to blow yourself up :)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:50:41 pm by SyF »

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:51:48 pm »
i was actually planing on making almost that exact same one you showed Syf,
btw, what would a dozen hand forged bodkins be worth, in either money or traded stuff because once i get good i might finally be able to support my archery and fishing addiction ;D.
thanks
noel

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 01:06:42 am »

Cameroo;
      You should be able to find fire brick, at any large hardware store, or a fireplace store, or something like that.
You will need the fire brick mortar also.  When my Dad built our fire place, he got the brick and mortar at one of the big hardware stores.  You might also want to get a chimney flue to use for a forge also.  You could block it off with fire bricks, and mortar, and then layer the inside bottom with fire brick, and maybe coat the outside with fire mortar.  Just sort of mound it up a bit, on top and the sides.  You could drill a couple of holes for the fuel, and air before piling on the mortar, and put in a couple pieces of cast iron pipe, or just make a tube out of mortar, and then put your pipe in that, so that the pipe is not actually in the forge. ;)   Just my humble idea.  :)

Wayne

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 01:13:31 am »
i just realized something, i might have a almost ready made forge built in my yard. im not sure why but my dad had built a longtime ago a fireplace thing that looked more like a chimney, it only like a foot wide and a like 3-1/2 feet high, its made a some type of fire brick and has a removable brick at the bottom for removing caols and adding wood or whatever else you are burning, what i am thinking is hooking up some sort of blower into the bottom and setting up my anvil nearby, the good thing i that its right near my house so i can use a hairdryer, or vacuum that needs to be plugged in ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, its slo right next to our wood pile and has lighting from my house for useing it in the middle of the night to irritate neighbors >:D
noel