Author Topic: Shoot selection?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline nyarrow

Shoot selection?
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:33:08 am »
I'm wanting to dive into harvesting my own shoots and have read through the website (and others) a few times. My biggest problem is finding a specific species (because I'm not sure what is what) This being said is it ok to use most anything that is straight and has rigidity? Trees, shrubs etc?

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Shoot selection?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:27:33 am »
 Yes mostly but there are a few types that are to britle. If you can snap it clean I leave it. If there straight and a few of them I'll give them a try. If a shoot has any and I mean ANY inperfections in it don't wast your time. People like to take a crooked stave or a funky peice of wood and build a bow from it. Not so with a shoot for and arrow.I only cut mine in the winter by summer I start building them. But most season in a month or so. Do some research on here there references on here that will help you.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:35 pm »
I use mostly sourwood(Oxydendrum arboreum) but have used other hardwood shoots as well. I noticed that maple shafts will be bigger diameter for the same spined arrow. Viburnum is similar in size to sourwood. You will have to experiment with what is available for you. Where do you live? Do some research to see what the Native Americans in your area used. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:16:52 pm »
I live in Western NY, just south of Keuka Lake. (Corning area) I'm sure the area has much to offer, probably even on my own property. I just didn't want to pluck anything straight and learn the hard that some things can't handle the stress of being shot. My biggest problem is not really knowing what is what. I can ID most hardwoods but the smaller shrubs, bushes and etc I have no clue. I'll do a bit more research as you mentioned and see what I come up with.