Author Topic: Neo Tribal Skinner  (Read 2524 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Neo Tribal Skinner
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:50:55 pm »
Here's one headed to up north to my Yankee bow building friend.  Blade is forged out of 1084, and all the shaping is done with a hammer and file.  Handle is box elder burl, with a copper wire wrap ferrule from and old extension cord, thong tube from and old hummingbird feeder, and copper pin.  Started on the sheath yesterday, but I screwed up and am probably going to have to start over.

Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Neo Tribal Skinner
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:03:10 pm »
Nice looking knife!  I like the copper wire wrap.  Nice finish work too :)

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »
Very cool!  I'm a sucker for a rustic/primitive finish on a knife.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:01 pm »
Nice blade Jonathan.  Is it full tang, all the way to the back pin,tube, or short tang, just past the first pin?  I'd like to see an edge picture.  Gorgeous wood, looks sharp.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 04:28:55 pm »
If ever I saw a perfect dressing and skinning blade .....that would be it. With some luck it's gonna be real messy (several times) before archery season is over.  ::)
rich

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »
Just in case he doen't like it, my address is...  8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it.  I still have a long way to go with forging, but I do feel like I'm making baby steps in the right direction.  I'm really glad you like it, Rich.  Hopefully you'll get it all bloody and nasty many, many times.

The blade is a hidden tang, that goes about half-way into the handle.  I had originally planned to make it go all the way through the handle and peen it, but I didn't get enough steel stretched out to make it work, at least not at a comfortable length.  The pin is peened through the tang to give a good mechanical bond.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:18:22 am »
Nice one, Jonathan! You're coming along great with the knifemaking, I really liked the one you brought to Pat's.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:25 pm »
Thanks Steve, if I get another one of those done soon I'll give you a yell.
Cleveland, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:46:54 pm »
I want to put in an order for that one. ;D You know where to send it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!