Author Topic: A hunting story  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
A hunting story
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »
I had a couple of hours to hunt this morning before work.  I needed to be at work by 0900 so I had to be climbing down out of my stand by 0750.  The moon had set so it was as dark as the inside of a cow going into the woods.  I fumbled around until I finally found my tree – a tree I’ve sat in at least a hundred times.  I sat down to wait for first light at 0540.  By 0600 is was light enough for a 10-15 yard shot, which is about the max I can shoot from this stand. 
This stand is on a property I’ve hunted for a long time.  I’ve killed 4 deer from this stand in the past.  It sits between a thicket used for bedding and a ridge full of white oaks that always yield a good crop of acorns.  I hunt in a tree that is very close to (almost growing up in) a big 30’ cedar.  My entire back is concealed by the cedar and there are 7 dogwoods to my front and sides.  My stand is just over the top of the dogwoods.  I only have 3 spots to shoot and the max shot at this time of year is 20 yards.  I like it because you get nice close shots and the deer can’t see you but you have to be ready when they get there. 
The squirrels were active all morning but no deer.  At 0730 I was beginning to think it was a dry hunt, but then I saw movement directly to my front at about 17 yards – just on the other side of the dogwood.  I could see brown.  Within about 3-4 minutes I saw the head move and clearly saw horns.  I assumed it was the 8-pointer I’d seen on my cam.  The deer was not alert but it would stand for long periods of time then take a step, look around, scratch then take one more step.  It was about 15 yards when I saw the rack and realized that this was a much bigger deer than my 8-pointer.  It moved to my right and I got set for the shot.  It was going to give me a good shot where the doe was that I killed last week.  Then I saw movement where I originally saw this buck – another deer – with horns.  At this point I began to humbly pray, “Lord, please give me an opportunity on this buck.  I’ve practiced so that I can make a lethal shot.  I’ve hunted hard and scouted well.  Please just give me the opportunity.” I was trying to see the second buck when the first one began walking across the small opening I had at 20 yards.  I swung the bow for a shot and drew as I swung.  Just as I got the bow in position for the shot he stopped but there was a dogwood limb with tiny branches across his vitals.  I could clearly see the 12-POINTER!! Now.  He was a monster; so big that he walked stiff.  Take the shot!  Take the shot I thought. Then I realized that there was a good chance I’d hit a limb, but there was another buck that was likely to follow him across the opening and I could get that shot.
I turned my focus to the second buck.  It took about 5-minutes before he took a step which enabled me to clearly see his rack.  When I saw his rack I began to shamelessly beg my Father in Heaven, “PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE ME THE SHOT.  HE’S HUGE!  ARE YOU LOOKING AT THIS BUCK? DO YOU REALIZE I’VE BEEN A GOOD BOY?  PLEASE GIVE ME THE SHOT!!!!” 
He slowly, methodically, began to work his way to my left, opposite the first buck.  I had a hole for shooting there as well.  He moved to my hole but only his feet were visible.  No shot.  It took that deer 30-minutes to move 50 yards.  He was never alert or nervous, just methodical.  Both bucks eased off.  One went down the ridge and the other went into the thicket.  The second buck stood exactly where I shot a 6-pointer last year, but that was December and the leaves were off the trees.  Oh well, that’s why they call it hunting.  I hope to see those big boys again.  They were massive deer – gynormous bucks.  The second was a 10-pointer and it appeared that I could have put my arrow inside his rack.  His G2s were like swords coming off the main beam. 
Below is a trail cam pic of another 8-pointer.  I was thrilled to see this buck in my area but he looks like a yearling compared to the two big bucks I saw this morning.  That is sincerely no exaggeration.  Happy hunting.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: A hunting story
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:14:58 pm »
Great story ,is that the area below my house ? Mr Weatherbe lives right at the top of that area and told me Sunday that he had see 2 really really nice bucks there.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:29 pm »
Sshhhhhhhhhhh   there are locals on this site.  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:28:18 pm »
None that would know where that place is. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:48 pm »
Road Trip!!!!    Good story Ranger !!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:13:58 pm »
Awesome story!  Got my blood pumping just reading it!  You do a way better job than me at setting the scene lol
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:28 am »
Great story Jimmy, I hope you get another chance at them!

P.S.  You have worked hard and I trust have been good, but the Lord did grant you a huge success recently with the winning of that big shoot...don't want god to raise an eyebrow with another big request so soon. Maybe he can share some blessings with some of the rest of us deserving souls!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:04:35 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I like that thought GregB. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:23:17 am »
Sir:  Just goes to show that hunting is about the experience of being there at the right moment!  So many times having a big bull elk come in to the call with his ire up, wetting and screaming making the hair on your neck stand up only to have him and the woods come alive with running elk because you have been busted makes you thank the Lord for the experience!  Thanks for the story!  A/Ho  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »
Ya and from some of my experiences  It make me know he also has a sense of humor.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 12:52:09 pm »
Well Greg the Lord says to have a prayer in your heart always.  I try and thank him for my blessings as often as I can so it kind of balances out all of the emotional requests when I see that big buck   ;D ;D

On a serious note I do have a lot to be thankful for.  I look at all that I have been blessed with and know how undeserving I truly am.  It helps me to know with certainty that he is looking over me.  Have a good day gents.