Author Topic: Mulberry log suggestions please.**pics***  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Mulberry log suggestions please.**pics***
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 05:15:34 pm »
How wide are your staves? A ring of sapwood or two should work out fine. Leave the belly flat to help support the higher crowned back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 05:24:26 pm »
Correct. And yup get those ends cut off and sealed up good. And id remove that soft punky heartwood. If you don't it'll prob check up into the wood. And seeing how you don't have much to work with id remove it. I always remove it(if there's punky soft heartwood) no matter what the size of my staves split out to be.

Offline frankg

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:38 pm »
The staves are 2" x 3-1/2" ,1-1/2" x 3"  and othern 2-1/4" x 3-1/2" , 2" x 3-1/4" .

I'll get them cleaned up and sealed . I think I have some polyurthane left over I can use.
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline frankg

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:48 pm »
  After trimming ends and cleaning the bellys up to get rid of the little 1/4" wide or so vein of heart or whatever it is ,I have between 1" , 1-1/4" of yellow wood end to end  with about 1" or so of white wood plus bark on bigger stave.
  The othern has 3/4", 1" of yellow wood and about same white wood and bark . May even get something useful from the smaller one :)
  I put Elmers wood glue on butts , it was within reach .
  Ended up with 71" staves after cuttin 3" off each end to get rid of checks.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:43 am »
it looks alittle smokey down in k-falls.....the wood looks great....i would do what pat said....what i really want to see is a bow finished...but,then i dont have patiente when some else is making a bow.I WANT TO SEE IT NOW....LOL...john

Offline frankg

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 01:41:56 am »
Im sorta buildin inventory for foul weather :) They seem pretty damp yet so be awhile before I get to them .

Ive been playing with juniper , real springy stuff !!

Oh , we are socked in pretty good with fires every which direction you look on map !