Author Topic: Finishing bamboo arrows  (Read 4341 times)

FAW

Finishing bamboo arrows
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:10:09 am »
Having been prompted by another topic in this forum, I need to ask about a topcoat for bamboo arrows. I have been very content to make up arrows from matched, tempered bamboo shafts but have not been adding any protective coat as one would with cedar, birch, etc. Is a topcoat necessary?

Offline markinengland

Re: Finishing bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »
I think to answer to this is yes.

Bamboo is failry hydroscopic. Like Hickory it tends to absorb water. A good waterproof finish will help reduce this - both to slow water absorbtion and also to slow it drying out.

I've found that bamboo softens a bit in spine when it gets damp but doesn't warp like some wooden or shoot shafts. It may tend to split of it dries out quickly. A bamboo backing when fully dry will go into deflex so there is some tension going on as bamboo dries.

Frequent coatings of a natural oil based finish can work, as can a water based modern exterior waterproof varnish.

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:12:41 am »
I use Min-wax wipe-on, on my bows as well as my bamboo arrows..seems to seal them good!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:06:06 am »
I like the concept of "feeding the wood".  I don't know if this is the best thing or not but I dip both end in Danish Oil and wipe down the shaft.  When that is dry I coat with a generous coat of Shelac (I like amber from zissner).  After its fletched I wipe the shafts with paste wax every so often.

I have heard that bear fat does an excellent job of water proofing as well.

FAW

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 01:06:04 pm »
Thanks for info, Markinengland and PrarieBowyer. I guess I had better start putting a coat of something on these arrows, 'cause I really like shooting them..

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:11:29 am »
Here in the UK, I use Ronseal hard glaze floor varnish.  If you boo has a good finish to begin with, one coat is usually enough to really waterproof it.  Not particularly primitive, but cheap and effective.

cheers, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:48 pm »
On some of my primitive cane arrows I don't add a finish but rely on the rind to protect them. If I sand the nodes and/or the entire cane I will add a finish and it is usually a couple of coats of Tru-Oil.  I think your cane arrows will be more stable(moisture wise) if you do add a finish to slow down the hygroscopic rate.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

FAW

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:48:58 pm »
Pat B
Yeah, the shafts I was making into arrows looked perfect without a coat, close to what carbon looks like, so I just went ahead and made 'em into arrows. With the advice received here, I took the points off and put a clear coat of Minwax polyurethane on them to give some protection. I will be completing another dozen soon and will take care to put coat(s) on to protect them before I turn them into arrows. I have never used Tru-Oil on my arrows -  is this a good product for topcoats? and how is it for drying?

Offline Boofus

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:58:02 pm »
Tru oil is the best! i use about ten coats for my arrows(overachiever i know!  ::)) just lay the tru oil on with your fingers one coat at a time, i usually put a coat on before i go to bed and one on before i go to work in the morning, this give a decent amount of time to let the oil dry (it may be different for you depending on the humidity where you live) lightly buff with #oooo steel wool between coats and for the final finish for hunting arrows to remove any glare. fletch them up with fletch tape and let 'em rip!