Author Topic: Michigan Osage  (Read 3825 times)

Offline riverrat_67

Michigan Osage
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:13:54 pm »
Was wondering if anyone knew of somebody that sell osage (staves) in Michigan.  I would like to be able to pick out a stave for character instead of order some online.   I started with osage and have since worked with hickory and maple which I can find out the back door but would like to make some more osage bows..  Also If anyone has a favorite west-central Michigan wood that I should try let me know.

Thanks bob...

Lose the training wheels...

blackhawk

Re: Michigan Osage
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:27 pm »
Gary Davis of rattlestick bows lives in Mi about an hour+  from you.

I have a buddy in Perry who will sell you a character stave. He wood prob let you pick it out. Here's his site for his contact info. http://www.o ldtimberbowsarrows.com/  send me a pm if u want his number direct.

There's other guys on here also that are from Mi and who wood be willing to trade or make a deal with ya too. Im sure they'll be chiming in. I grew up and was born in Holland. But I currently live out of state.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:15:41 am by Pappy »

Offline riverrat_67

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:31 pm »
Thanks for the info, just joined the forum and i'm enjoying going thou the post.  I'll have to get some pic's up soon just finished tillering one yesterday...
thanks again
bob..

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:33:27 am »
Funny this should come up, I was just visiting some family in MI and thought I saw Hedge Apples on the road and mentioned them while we were driving around...the response I got was '...oh yeah, there's a lot of Hedge around here...' ...I thought it was too far north...guess I was wrong...ok, so now there are two things to look for around Battle Creek...black squirrels and Osage, eh?
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:56:04 am »
Gary Davis is a super nice guy.  He has a bow building DVD for sale.  If you live close to him, it's definitely worth the drive to meet him.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:49:56 am »
What part of Michigan are you in Bob? I get my osage from Indiana! I know of a few rows of hedge around here, but they are off limits to my saw.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline riverrat_67

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:11 pm »
Cadillac area..

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:24:26 pm »
What part of Michigan are you in Bob? I get my osage from Indiana! I know of a few rows of hedge around here, but they are off limits to my saw.

What!  There isn't any osage in Indiana. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline merriick1990

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 07:53:17 pm »
i live in medina ohio and we have some osage :) come on down and CHOOOOOP CHOP CHOP CHOP!!

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:48:05 pm »
Hey merriick1990...can I take ya up on that offer? Im only two hours from ya. Ill bring a saw n tools to split n we can split the plunder???? ::)

Offline riverrat_67

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:14 pm »
thanks merriick1990 I'll have to try to take you up on your offer, It would be great to get to work osage free tree to bow....

Offline riverrat_67

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:13 pm »
from tree to bow.....i'm due for a cup of coffee..

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:22 pm »
Hi Bob, I live in Rockford MI, there is a hunting stor about ten minutes from my place that sells a lot of traditional archery stuff. He has two or three staves sittin in the shop right now. The name of the place is Black Dog Outfitters, ask for Tom.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI