Author Topic: Don`t want to waiste Osage piece!  (Read 2817 times)

Offline uwe

Don`t want to waiste Osage piece!
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »
Hello Guys!
I had a rest of Osage which is now after I spliced it with a "Z"- Splice about 48" long, 1 1/2" wide and max. 1/4" thick. I have a good bamboo laminate for the back and dark nut wood, plum, cherry or pear?  for the handle.I decide to make a bow of about 40# at 26". Could this be enough bow for the project or should I put a laminate of for example yew between bamboo and osage? Is this a good comination in this way or should be the belly made of yew? I also have maple at home. The design I would like in this case is the Gullwing design. Have önly little experience with Osage/ Boo in Perry- Reflex and Reflex/ Deflex. But with these bows I had a bit more thickness. So I need some advice from you.
Regards and many Thanks for your help.
Uwe

Offline uwe

Re: Don`t want to waiste Osage piece!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:35:12 pm »
Lots of you read my thread, but no ideas? Please help. Even with easy tips like what`s good for the belly? Osage, yew, locust. The back will be bamboo.
Regards Uwe

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:56 pm »
uwe  any will work i dont like the maple but the yew or osage my favorite and u can probly pull way more n 40# outta that brock

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:22 pm »
With a bow that short 40# shouldn't be a problem for boo backed anything!  ;)
I would use the osage for the belly and any of the other woods for a core but a core isn't necessary I don't think. Get your limbs to bend right up to the handle too. Having a solid backing and a handle underlay should strengthen the spliced handle...probably not enough for a bendy handle so keep the handle stiff.
 I also seriously doubt you will waiste anything, Uwe!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »
Thanks for your replies! As I read, my thoughts were o.k. If I put a core between it shouldn`t be thicker thanmax 3/ 16", I think. I only want to glue it as a core between, because as everyone knows bandsaws are not the best choice for making laminates. They get uneven and so I decide to make it a bit stronger. The boo is thin because I want to use the powerfibres.
As you say Pat it may be not important to use a core. I part this idea because the glueing in a form and the design will bring a lot of drawweight.
I will see!
Regards Uwe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:08 pm »
 Uwe, like Pat said, Osage is a tough, forgiving, piece of wood. Just back it with Bamboo and you should be okay. I'm looking forward to seeing it, I like short bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 12:56:04 am »
uwe  ill tell u the bamboo it tough stuff iv made ome 3/8 yew or osage  wit the boo  and still ended up with 60# bows  dont sweat it post some pic s so we can see what ur doin b ;Drock

Offline uwe

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:47:21 pm »
That makes my thoughts a little cleaner. Now I`m thinking should I make it pyramidial or with a rectangular  "area" touching the handle upper and lower for about 10" and then go pyramidial?
Should it be possible to make a 26" draw? Its more than half of the bow!
Regards Uwe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »
My 60" recurves are full width(1 3/8" to 1 1/2") all the way out except for the last 6" to 8" where they tapers to the nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:00 pm »
 Uwe, with the dimensions Pat posted you should have no problem with 40# @ 26". I would go with the 1 1/2" if it was me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline uwe

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 11:35:16 am »
Well, but 40" is 20" shorter! Aren`t recurves with this short drawlength a waisted piece of bending area, although Boo and Osage are forgiving much?