Author Topic: Boo/Hic/boo will it work?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline dbb

Boo/Hic/boo will it work?
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »
I got a long strip of hickory left over when i cut out some future bows from a board.
Its just over 1 1/4" wide and taper from 1/16 to about 1/2" midway and tapers off again and is 79"long.
Got some nice boo slats and was wondering if its worth making the hic as a core with boo back and belly?
I think i read somewhere that heattreating boo makes it stronger in compression,is that correct?
the idea was to keep it as long as possible.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Boo/Hic/boo will it work?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:49 pm »
That combo will work. You should pre tiller the boo and the hickory so you have a nice even bend on each limb before glue up. After glue up the only tillering will be from the sides.
  Heat treating boo does increase the compression strength. I watched James Parker(Robustus) heat treat boo and you would be shocked to see how much heat he does use. He used a large rosebud head on a propane torch and burned the boo as he went out each strip. Lots of flame and charing.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »
Thanks Pat!
As it says in my sig...its better to ask..
I imagine i have to be careful with the design,should be very easy to get a lot of handshock if i get thick tips.
And i can actually imagine the amount of heat it takes,i have seen rodbuilders burn bamboo for canerods ;DIt looks insane

/Mikael

Offline dbb

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:17:29 am »
Got some more questions about this .
I assume that the backing boo should be pretty thin,but what about the boo belly?
I will heat treat it, but should i make it thicker too?Or will the same thickness be enough?
Im sure i will have more to ask about later ;D

/Mikael

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:06:14 pm »
I've never built a boo back and belly bow but I believe both the back and belly should be asa thin as possible.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC