Author Topic: Hole in the Point  (Read 2094 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Hole in the Point
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:02:54 pm »
I picked out a thin spall to warm up on this afternoon.  I didn't see the hole near the upper end. Wasn't sure it was even in the picture I took, but it was.

About half way through thinning the point I spotted it and it became a fight to keep the hole in the point.  Had to keep a pretty blunt tip, but surprisingly it worked out.

Haven't done any notching yet.  Not sure exactly what to do.  Sure happy with it though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hole in the Point
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:05:54 pm »
 That's cool, George.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:44 am »
Holes in points are good mojo. Be sure and hang it up near your knapping area for good luck. Looks cool! 8)

Online iowabow

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:38:06 am »
Really cool
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:54 am »
That's neat.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:50 am »
tower beat me to it, hang that sucker up. nice work too
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Online iowabow

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:08:02 pm »
Hey forgot to say you work is looking real good you are make real good progress.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:05:27 pm »
Nice job.You could haft it and tie a string to it and go fishin'
Bone
Venice Florida

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »
 :) LOL, I love that.  Thanks guys.  You should have seen the point I tried after this one, epic fail.  My thinning flakes stalled every time.  I was too embarrassed to take a picture of what was left. :-[  Thankfully it's just rock. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »
Can you guys imagine what gstoneberg could do with decent rock or a decent stave???

Maybe we should chip in and get him some decent material for a change!    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:59:04 pm »
Very cool!  8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »
That is cool George! Keep em a coming :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »
Thanks guys, but I break at least as many as I make.  I do OK on thin spalls, but when I really have to thin a lot, I stink.  I've been forcing myself to do at least 1 thick spall each time I chip, but most times I just make gravel out of them.  Painful to take a nice big spall and reduce it to nothing.  I'll get it eventually.  I do better with direct percussion on the thick ones, but am still not accurate enough.  Again, need more practice.  I was gonna go out last night and work some, but it seemed a lot hotter than the temp would indicate.  Don't have time tonight and tomorrow night I'm heading out for an all-night coyote/hog hunt with the night vision rifles.  Maybe I can get some more video.  Hope to break up more rock on the weekend.

Paul, we'll be hunting over west of you.  Supposed to be thick with coyotes.  He told us to only shoot boar hogs with cutters 3" or longer. :o  I've never seen one that big?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 03:56:28 pm »
I've seen some bigguns over where i hunt (Bowie) but wasn't close enough to see any tusks and was armed with stone points which with the one lucky shot i got just bounced off, haha.. Good luck on your hunt..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
Thanks Paul.  I've cleaned a couple boar that I'm quite sure I could not kill with a chest shot with my primitive gear.  Shields in excess of 1.5" thick that cover the whole chest down onto the front legs.  Man, the last thing I want is an angry boar in close proximity.  I'm always going for smaller boar or sows with the bow.  Just the hide on an adult pig is tough to penetrate.  I'm sure it can be done, but I have no desire to do it.  The .308 is much more capable on the big boar.   We're going a little south of Wichita Falls.

George
St Paul, TX