Author Topic: Anyone have anything to say about these handguns?  (Read 4388 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Anyone have anything to say about these handguns?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »
     It was in the Philippines, back in the very early 1900's when the Natives, can't remember the correct name, Moro's I think, anyway, they would get all hopped up and attack the U.S. Expeditionary forces there, and do a lot of damage to the forces.  The U.S forces were armed with the 30/40 Krag Jorgenson, rifle, and the colt 38, with a 200 grain bullet.  It was minimum effective at best.  The rifle was alright, but for close combat the pistol was just not cutting it.  The Army sent some Luger's, and  said try this.  They did, and said send something more effective.  The Army had done away with it's single action .45 Colt, and replaced it with the double action .38 Colt.  Well they were asking for the .45 Colt back at least it had the power to stop an attacker even if it was a single action, and took too much time to reload.  The army then sent the newly acquired, and still undergoing testing, .45  Automatic Colt Pistol, in limited number to try.  The Expeditionary Forces, said send more!  It stopped the attackers in their tracks, often with just one shot, where as the .38, and 9mm took multiple shots, and even then sometimes it didn't stop the drugged up Moro's from reaching the soldiers.    As for the one shot theory, two shots is, or was the standard FBI training .  The first shot to the mid torso, and the second due to the assailant being bent over from the impact, would receive another round in the upper torso region.  So rather than trying to hit one particular spot, you aimed mid torso and double tapped .  It is quite effective.
There was a Sherriff, or Police Officer somewhere, that shot and killed a man who had committed murder, and then also shot and killed a Police Officer, he was asked by the lame stream media why he had shot him "X" many times, and the Officer replied that it was all the ammo he had with him at the time.  The .45 acp is still used by special forces teams that need to stop an enemy quickly, at close range.  Again bullet type and weight plays a big part in any caliber.  I like my .44 special, my S&W .45acp revolver, and my .45 long colt,  especially loaded up for hunting, and absolutely love my S&W model 29 in .44 Magnum.  But for an all around personal protection Handgun, I prefer the .45acp, again personal preference.  If someone is out to kill you, and just walks up and shoots you, you have little recourse, but those around you if armed, will have a good chance to stop the threat.  Providing they are adept at retrieving their personal weapon of choice in a smooth and timely manner.  Trey decide what the gun you choose, will be used for the most, or any combination there of, and make your decision on based on that.  But as with any firearm know it inside and out, and be completely familiar with it before carrying it, concealed or not.  I just got an email from a friend of mine that sent a newspaper article from a Arizona newspaper, that told of a man who took his wife's pistol from her to carry it for her, while they stopped a little fast food place, and he was shoving it down in his waistband, and it went off shot his manhood, and thigh.  The Police said he should have had a holster.  Well I personally think, and not knowing all the facts, surmise he had his finger on the trigger., so shoving it in a holster would not have prevented it from firing, but might have been pointed in another direction, rather than in the direction of the center for genetic replication, and  recreational  relaxation unit and male thought processing center. ..... ::) ;D

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 04:05:50 pm »
hmmmm. howbout a 460 s&w 5 shot revolver? good accuracy and stoping power there.  >:D

but serriously i was lookin at one of those yesterday. out of that big giant hunk of s&w stainless steel i think that would be an incredible (yet expensive and a little over powered for deer) hunting pistol. and honestly im a hunter, not a fighter or a competitive shooter, so i suppose it would be good to go with a hunting pistol. i would go with a regular ole 44  mag, 45 lc or 357 but everybody has one of those. i want something different. :)
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 06:43:04 pm »

Well then get what you like.  ;)  After all it is you that is going to be carrying, and using it.  Just think about the cost and availability, of ammo for your choice, as another factor in your decision. .......  ;)
                                                                                      Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »
yea thats the problem with the 460. from what iv read it has the trajectory of a 30-30 with the wollop of a 45-70 out of a HANDGUN! that just amazes me to no end. now like i said, yes, it is way more than i need for what i hunt and at the ranges that i hunt buuuuuut, i like that i CAN shoot longer ranges and bigger game if i ever get the chance and though it is a little (ok fine, quite a bit) overpowered for deer and hogs at 25-100 yards, i just like that i could always take the thing to hunt anything anywhere in the world and never need a bigger gun.

now, if it wasnt for the fact that it has the potential to do anything i could possibly ask it to, i would happily take a 44 mag, which is still one heck of a round, but i also want something thats a notch above what everyone els uses. possibly due to the whole young male effect. i think if the special folks at the plant will get that darned ammonia leak fixed so i can actually start getting my hours again, im going to go ahead and get the monster. sence its fairly new to the market, if i decide i dont like it, i should be able to get a good bit back for it. still pondering, but i kinda like that cannon.
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 11:46:40 pm »
  for personal defense, there is also only one and that is the .45 acp preferably in a 1911 frame handgun. 

There is a reason the 1911 has a hundred years worth of rabid fans. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:41 am »
 YEP! ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:42 am »

Trey, what is lightest weight bullet, you can get in that pistol?  That is what I would use for hunting, except for a Grizzly, then I would go for the heaviest bullet. ;)  But I wouldn't be out there looking for in the first place, because with my luck, I'd find one! :o :o :P ;D
                                                                                                       Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 04:11:36 am »
mind changed again. glock 10 mm with an aftermarket 6 inch barrel (not the long slide just the goofy looking extended barrel), and either one of those strange little red dot sights or adjustable night sights would work just fine for deer and hogs and even with mods id still come out cheaper than the sw. i just gotta figure out some way to fix those messed up finger grooves that some genious decided was a good idea.  >:(
lets just shoot it

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »
here's my 629 .44 mag, can't ask for any better than this.  here is also a pic of my cutomized springfield 1911.  it shoots pretty good too.  this is a 12 yard group.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »
Then there was the guy that went into the bush with a guide up in Alaska to hunt big bears.  As they were working their way up on a likely bruin the hunter looked back to see if his guide had pulled his backup pistol...the guide was toting a little .22 auto!  He looked at the guide in  astonishment and asked the guide if he really thought that was the best choice for shooting the bear.  The guide said, "Oh, this ain't for the bear.  If that bear turns I'm shooting you in the kneecap."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.