Author Topic: For Lee Slikkers Eyes Only  (Read 2456 times)

blackhawk

For Lee Slikkers Eyes Only
« on: August 12, 2011, 10:37:13 pm »
Here ya go Lee. This threads for you per your request. Lol  :laugh:

My current battle is a pignut hickory sapling. It is 70" overall length. 1 1/2" out of the fades. Since it was a small sapling it has a high crown(naturally trapped back)  Eiffel tower stiff tips that are slightly reflexed. Limbs are reflexed as well and the bow currently has 4" of reflex. Its been to low brace,then had to move top limb over to get string on center,then heat treated and reflexed over a form,then tried to low brace it and my string tracking went awry again so I heated and moved my bottom limb over to retrace the string on center again. And that's where im at on this one. Everything needs to be lined up center and lil to no twist to keep her balanced and from bucking the string off and flipping its self. Hopefully tomorrow when I low brace her again she doesn't put up anymore fits and I can continue to tiller. She has been down to 50lbs@20"  and tiller just needs to be reduced and fine tuned but she's close. Sorry I don't have any bend pics. Anyways......here's the profile shots

Im expecting to lose at least a couple inches of reflex,but that's ok with me. And once I got this bull by the horns ill narrow those stiff tips even more.

Thanks for looking guys......I mean Lee :laugh:........Chris
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:41:07 pm by blackhawk »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: For Lee Slikkers Eyes Only
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:58 pm »
I bet you hold a bunch of reflex with a good tempering. Lokks pretty sweet thus far!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 02:40:11 am »
Pearl Drums, what are you doing on here? This is for Lee only >:(

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:39:57 am »
Im typong thus wiyh my hand ovwr my eyes.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:08:12 am »
Lol guys....I knew id get some funny comments.  :laugh:

And speaking of Lee where is he? I might have to post up a reward and wanted poster. But make sure he's alive if you catch him.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:02 am »
Now THAT is reflex!   ;D  Hope she holds on to it for you in the final tillering.  Man she looks long after having worked these shorter bows lately.

(Thanks for the Title, made me feel real special...LOL   >:D >:D)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 02:16:59 pm »
Thanks lee....I thought ya might like the title....lol. make ya feel all warm inside.  :laugh:

If I even retain 2" reflex after shooting it in and sealing her up ill be a happy camper. Ill even be just ok with an inch.

The high reflex profiles tend to take a lil more set due to the higher stress imposed upon them

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »
just make sure that you get it braced early as possible... those high reflexed staves appear heavier poundage than they really are and I don't want you to come in under weight.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:19:54 pm »
just make sure that you get it braced early as possible... those high reflexed staves appear heavier poundage than they really are and I don't want you to come in under weight.

I still got weight to play with. I know she's about 65 @ 28".  Before my last tempering I had it down to 20" where it was 50lbs. Next time I brace it ill brace a lil higher so to help keep the string on. Yeah I know high reflex staves can fool you early on before bracing. They are def a tight rope walk to make.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 01:02:50 am »
No progress done on this one today as I came across something more important.

I know,I know. Im a dirty wood whore >:D.  I found an ole hedgerow today and wasted no time. Heck the owner even fed me dinner and gave me a couple books to boot. What a grrrreat day. And God is gooooood!!!!!! ;D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:30 am »
Sheesh brother...you live one CHARMED life!!! But congrats and good for you!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:32:14 am »
Lee.....Its cus I live in the land flowing with milk and honey. Or in the bowyers translation "the land flowing with Osage and yew"....lol :laugh: I be living in the promised land brother.  ;)   O:)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:54 am »
Guess I'm still wandering in the dessert following Moses and Aaron yet ;) ...someday I'll be saved.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold