Author Topic: testing...first osage  (Read 1254 times)

Offline deepsix406

testing...first osage
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:01:06 pm »
Never posted a pic before, well see if i can figure it out...
This was a small character laden stave i was gifted about a year ago, its right at 59'' overall, its tillered to 28'' draw at around 50-60#, i never weigh em.
First ever experience with osage, and i gotta say I'm hooked. Being up in Montana its hard to find the more sought after woods, needless to say I've been on the look out ever since working this stuff!
The tiller was incredibly awkward due to the mid-limb reflex on the upper limb. tiller looks off in my opinion, but I'm ok with it

unstrung profile

full draw

back, showing crown

braced

string alignment

upper limb

lower limb

ooh ya, long time lurker, first time poster! figured id try to start with a bang! thanks for looking, suggestions welcome :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:06:34 am by deepsix406 »

blackhawk

Re: testing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:23:30 pm »
Heck its Osage, shoot it n enjoy it and make some more.

Welcome to PA and the loony bin >:D.   Your in good hands here  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: testing...first osage
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:13 am »
Got to love Osage,I would love to see an un strung profile of that,the only thing I see is looks like you could use a little more bend top limb mid limb to take some of
the pressure off the Hump/knot right out of the handle. But if you like it and   satisfied with it ,just shoot and enjoy. :) :) Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline deepsix406

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:45:08 pm »
@pappy: That's exactly how i feel about the tiller, i just had to go with an even thickness taper on this and thats whats keeping me from removing any more wood in the upper limb.
the trickiest part about this stave was that right out the handle its slightly reflexed, then at the knot its deflexed then it goes into a lot of reflex.
unstrung profile

upper limb showing tricky spot

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:30 pm »
I love the swoopy whoopy on that limb.
I'm doing my first Osage too, (I'll be posting it in a few days) but it's plain vanilla compared with that baby.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.