Author Topic: First Knife (pictures of the chert ball, biggest I've seen)  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
First Knife (pictures of the chert ball, biggest I've seen)
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »
My pastor gave me this huge half round piece of chert from Oklahoma, (1 1/2 times as big as a basketball) so I thought I'd give the first thing I made fro it to him. Never made a knife before. I was pleased with the shape of it but it could have been a little thinner, I know now I didn't work the first face down far enough before I started shaping it.
It is set in with 5min epoxy and then wrapped with back sinew for looks.
Mark

p.s. I added the pictures of the nodule it came from. The other half of this half is already spalled out. it is REALLY clean stuff.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:53:02 pm by commadore »
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline cracker

Re: First Knife
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:32:06 pm »
Very cool knife. I like the signature line as well. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline maddog314

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:39:10 pm »
good stuff bro! I love it. 8)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:59:56 pm »
That is one fine looking knife there. Am sure he'll love it. Got a picture of that giant chert ball?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline maddog314

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:17:47 pm »
I like working this stuff. it does shelf a little when pressure flaking but it still thins!

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:27:46 pm »
I will get a picture up in the next few days. only half of it is left intact, the rest is spalled out but you'll be able to see the size of the thing.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline maddog314

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:23:19 pm »
Here is a point I made of the same stuff.

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:04:32 pm »
Good looking stuff fellas! ;)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: First Knife (pictures of the chert ball, biggest I've seen)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:48:28 pm »
That is a nice ball of chert - weird how it forms that way, hmm. Be nice if you could find a place where those are just pouring out of a mountain somewhere :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mark Anderson

Re: First Knife (pictures of the chert ball, biggest I've seen)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »
That is a nice ball of chert - weird how it forms that way, hmm. Be nice if you could find a place where those are just pouring out of a mountain somewhere :).
Ther might be a place! I don't know for sure, my pastor said it was in a limestone bluff where the Neosho and Spring river meet in Oklahoma. Said ther were several there but this is the one he could get ahold of. (at least I think those are the rivers, I might be wrong).
Mark
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:56:39 pm by commadore »