Author Topic: Osage bow recurved tips problem  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Jarod187

Osage bow recurved tips problem
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »
I have been working in my second osage self bow and i ran into a problem. its been tillered pretty well but its not reduced to the corect weight yet. When i string the bow and start to pull it back the bow wants to twist a little. I have been tryin to figure it out and noticed that the string doesnt line up in the dead center of the bow but its pretty close. Is this the problem? How do i fix it?

Offline Bow Nut

Re: Osage bow recurved tips problem
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »
when you have it braced look down the back of the bow at from handl to tips in each direction.  You should see that the recurve is pulling to one side or the other.  remove wood from the the last 6 to 8 inches from the side it is pulling twards or twisting twards.  bring that knock back in and check again.  this will get your string closer to center and get the twisting out.  Recurves are bad about twisting if not perfectly alingned.  pm me if you need to call me I will give you my number I have made a few of these now and every time I had this problem and was able to correct it.

Offline Jarod187

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:54:57 pm »
I will give this a try and I'll let you know if I have any problems. Thank you

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:52 pm »
yea let me know how it turns out for ya. just sneak up on it.  dont do to much it some times does not take much you can over do it.  I always leave my tips wide untill I can get it braced for this reason even up to 1" wide to leave plenty of room for adjustment.

Offline Jarod187

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:26:09 am »
I should have done that. Mine are under a half inch wide. I tried what you said and it worked until i didnt feel safe bringing in the knocks any further. I ended up clamping the limbs down over night to see if i could get them to set closer to the center i will keep you updated and let you know how it ends up