Author Topic: Tiller Check Please....  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Stingray45

Tiller Check Please....
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:45:59 am »
Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback on the tiller. All constructive advice is appreciated. Right now I have it pulling 35#@22". Thanks.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Stingray45

Re: Tiller Check Please....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:04 am »
This is what I'm seeing, or at least I think I'm seeing. I think it looks like a bit of a hinge just after coming out of the fade on the right hand side and it I think the last 1/3 of the right limb looks a bit stiff or flat. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 01:06:20 am »
Looks like mid limbs on both sides need to bend more.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:36:12 am »
Looking at bowjunkie's illustration id say a couple scrapes off the left limb if they are slightly whip ended and if you are splitting hairs.looks close  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:17:30 am »
I agree with what's been said already, plus left looks a tad stronger than right.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:57:19 am »
I'd be scraping the area between your red circles, and the same area on the left limb.  All of the work is being done just out of the fades right now.  And I'd keep the last 8 inches stiff.  Just my 2 cents :)

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:00:42 pm »
I'm most concerned about the 1st red circle that is closest to the fade. Should that even out by scraping in between the two red cirlces I have there? The left limb is definitely stiffer which I have made the bottom limb. I think the right limb fade is bending too much and I want to even that out a little bit. I'll try scraping a bit where you guy shave suggested and leave the fades alone.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »
Yup, you got it figured.  Stay away from the fades for now, and don't pull too hard on the tiller tree until you get the outer limbs bending more, or you will stress the wood too much right out of the fades, and you'll take excess set.  That's the worst place for set to take hold - the closer the set is to the handle, the more it's amplified as you go out to the tips.

I think once you get the outer limbs bending a bit more, it will take some of the stress off the inner limbs by the fades, and you'll be good to go!

Keep us posted!

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 04:11:27 pm »
My first thought when looking at just the first picture was also that the 1/2 to 1/3  of the right limb looks stiff.   

Coming along real good though....I'd be happy if it was mine!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:05 am »
Alright guys, here's an update. Going pretty slow, don't want to risk this one so I removed a little wood from both limbs where I said I was going to. I think the stiff areas have gotten a little better but I still need to remove more. Let me know what you think.

~Barry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:10:42 am »
That right limb looks stiff mid limb on. I like to turn the bow around in the tree and check tiller too. Sometimes our eyes play tricks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:46:45 am »
I like it. I turned my head sideways and it looks purdy to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 10:54:27 am »
Looking pretty good to me ,maybe a little mid limb like Jawge said but other than that ,just maintain,where are you at on weight and draw length ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 11:27:36 am »
It was pulling 35#@22" and now it's pulling about 32# or 33# @22". I think that could possibly get me to 47# or 48# at the intended draw length before final sanding. I may pike it to get a little more weight but I'll see when I get there if I need to do that or not. Right now the overal length is 69.5" ttt, 68" ntn. I'll be doing a little more work on it tonight so we'll see how it turns out.

~Barry