Author Topic: I call it a point... I guess  (Read 1569 times)

Offline GooseGossett

I call it a point... I guess
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:47:20 am »
I know I'm new but I'll say this might actually be the closest I've been to getting something useful.  About the thickness of a #2 pencil and 1.5" long.  I provided a picture of my best pressure flake (I'm still waiting on an ordered ishi stick which might help).  I don't even know types of points and maybe I need a fancy poster that will give me an idea of what to shoot for.  You might be able to see the very lucky flake I got to pass all the way across.   I was able to thin it out way quick but I think it was more luck than skill at the moment.

Question that might be easily answered.  I tried to get some bigger flakes by taking some more aggressive flakes when I first started and I noticed right away that the inside of my left elbow was sore right off the bat.  I'm taking it that I have less than ideal form.  Started using my legs more after the first few passes and it got better but curious how deep y'all set your pad below your knees when pressure flaking to use your legs?

1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "

Offline triggerfinger

Re: I call it a point... I guess
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:18:34 am »
Looks like youre figuring it out.  Well done
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:48:12 am »
thatd do the trick
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:45:15 am »
Every starts at the bottom and works up. Keep knapping, love the material.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36:23 am »
I have a handful just like that.  The addiction has begun for you, there's no turning back now.  Have fun.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »
I sat in the back of my truck and punched out a dozen just like that years ago - had blisters for a week :). Keep on knappin. You'll amaze yourself with every new point. Nice ring btw. I have one just like it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:26 pm »
Goose, 

I have learned that if you have a question post it first....otherwise it tends to get ignored.  I think attention span issues are a common problem with knappers ;D

Im absolutely not an expert, but when I use my legs to drive longer flakes I usually put the backs of my fore arms on my knees about 4-6 inches from my elbows.  Then i basically lock my elbows or flex up my arms so they dont flex when i squeeze with my knees.  It gives me lots of squeezin power.  But I could be doin it wrong as well
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 05:53:06 pm »
I saw the question, but I'm such a lousy pressure flaker that I knew I couldn't help.  All my points are totally made with direct and indirect percussion, with the exception of the notches and sharpening.  I do tend to latch on to the first thing I find interesting and miss some of the rest. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:19:09 pm »
Looks pretty good Goose, try to pressure with a piece of leather. I use a rubber pad less and less nowadays. Give it a try.

The ishi will help you also, It will take a bit of using to figure out just how to apply pressure,so stay at it.