Author Topic: Knives for osage  (Read 2650 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Knives for osage
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
Due to me being careless and stupid with a drawknife I ruined my only osage stave this weekend.  I'd like to get some more to hopefully not ruin if any of y'all have some extras around.  The bottom 2 knives shown here are available, and I've got several books and dvd's if you're looking for any of those.

Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Knives for osage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:44:44 pm »
Dang, about all I've got left is so crooked, weather checked and borer chomped I doubt you'd want it.   I have a sister to my trade bow stave that has the tightest rings I've ever seen in osage.  I've tried 4 times to chase a ring and haven't made it two feet down the limb yet.  If you want to hone your draw knifing skills, that's the stave for you.  Might need some bending too.  LOL.  I have some 6mo old wood but it is still pretty heavy.  I do have some old fenceposts if you want to splice up a stave.  Wish I had what I think you want. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:01:06 pm »
This past weekend was my first ever attempt at chasing a ring George, so I'm not sure if I'm ready for that one or not.  If nobody else shows any interest I'll probably take you up on it (I need the practice anyway).  If you happen to have any mulberry I'd consider it, too.  Mainly looking for something I don't have access to around here.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:09:08 pm »
I have some
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:13:28 pm »
There ya go Jonathon.  Could I ask how the stave is ruined?  The only time I've ever ruined a stave it happened on the belly when the knife caught on a knot and removed too much wood for a bow.  Maybe what you did isn't terminal?  Remember, it takes a lot less wood to make a short bendy handle bow than a long stiff handle bow.  Sometimes you can change the design and still get a bow out of your wood.  If nothing else, cut the bad limb off outbound of the handle and look for another piece of wood to splice it with.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:25:34 pm »
I was thinning down the belly and applied too much pressure on one side of the drawknife.  The side I was looking at was good, but I had taken way too much wood off the other side.  It was going to be a 66" bow, and the area I screwed up on is about 6" from that tip.  I'm sure I could make a bendy handle bow out of it yet, but I'm still a little bitter over it  ;D.  (It spent most of the day on Pat's burn pile before I finally came to my senses)  My oldest son needs a new bow, so it may end up getting used for that, too.

TJ, that sounds good.  Dang, I'm going to have to make a list of all the stuff we're swapping so I can remember it all.  See you next weekend, buddy.
Cleveland, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »
You have several options.  First, cut 3" off each limb and make a 60" bow.  I have a stiff handled unbacked 60" osage bow that has a little set but shoots great.  It is hard to bend the limb 3" from the end, you're probably OK there.  Second, make the limb even at that point through the tip, do the same to the other end and add a belly lam to the thin spots.  Similarly you could add a long tip overlay.  And of course, lastly you could make a bendy handle bow of 56".  Much better to make than kind of booboo 6" from the tip.  Takes a lot more force to bend the limb at 6" from the tip than 6" from the handle.

Good luck, I'll quit hijacking.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:22:41 pm »
I think I have lost count Jonathan.
Not sure I will make it to HHH. Looks like I will have to have surgery to remove a cyst on my wrist. Going to Dr Aug 2nd
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:03 pm »
Dang that sucks, TJ.  If you need someone to man the knapping tent just let me know, I can probably get my dad to take Morgan around to the stations if I need to.  Hope the Dr's visit goes well for you man.
Cleveland, NC