Author Topic: Osage billets or short bow staves  (Read 3320 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Osage billets or short bow staves
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:29:15 pm »
I have 2 sets of billets with sapwood removed but not to a growth ring.  The first set are 51" long, suitable for short bows, and are a vertical set of sisters.  The top one is wider than the bottom one. One end is recurved.  Both have wind checks, but there's enough good wood for a bow limb or a bendy-handled shorty.  I'll show those in the pictures.  I will separate these if somebody just wants a bendy-handle short stave.

The other set are 40" long, adjacent sisters, one with a big knot at the end (wish I'd have left a couple more inches of wood beyond that knot).  Not to a growth ring yet, but the sapwood has been removed.

I have 2 other sets of sister billets in the shop which I can clean up if there's interest.  They have more character.

I need pine pitch the worst; then arrow shaft material, or even completed arrows for a 50# or 60# selfbow. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bow Nut

Re: Osage billets or short bow staves
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:52:07 pm »
I have about a pound of pine pitch but it is straight from trees not store bough still a little dirty have no melted and cleaned it out yet and I have some shaft material mostly port orford cedar and some tonkin can I would rather trade the pitch

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 01:29:34 pm »
PM sent.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:35:36 am »
Need sister billits pm sent :D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:49:27 am »
PM sent.
St Paul, TX

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »
PM sent.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?