Author Topic: Bamboo back bamboo belly Yew cherry D/R Longbow  (Read 8712 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Bamboo back bamboo belly Yew cherry D/R Longbow
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:39:43 pm »
here is something I congered up Monday just an idea I had first one I have ever tried.  It is moso bamboo backed Cherry and Yew Lam with a carbonized moso bamboo belly.  The riser is Yew as well and the tips are gemsbok horn.  I brought it to work today to show my dad and guess who shows up at the pawn shop with a sales pitch for pepper spray.  A fella named Tom who is the founder and president of the Florida Bow Hunters Association.  we got to talking about bows and he asked if I had any here.  I showed it to him and he bought it on the spot.  I had not even finished it yet.  I was going to darken the bamboo on the back Polish the horn and put a nice finish on it but oh well.  Anyway I wanted to share it with yall as a finished product but cant now.  So I will share it with yall unfinished anyway.  It is 64 inches tip to tip and pulls 43 pounds at 28 inches.  The light weightness of the bamboo yew and cherry really make this a sweet shooting bow, no hand shok, fast arrow speed and the low sting angle makes it extremely smooth drawing.  Let me know what yall think.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:55:35 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline Bow Nut

Re: Bamboo back bamboo belly Yew cherry D/R Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:40:26 pm »
more pics
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:34:18 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:19:40 pm »
Sweet bow..again!
Just 10-15# more it would be perfekt...for me that is  ;D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
I think this is exactly what a reflex deflex braced profile and full draw profile should look like. (IMO) Awesome bow. Looks like a little demon of a shooter. Very nice job with the bamboo.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:01 pm »
 Very nice looking bow. Next time you see Tom, get him to show you the bamboo backed osage he bought from me. And tell Tom I said Hi.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:35:42 pm »
lol I will he was a heck of a nice fella and thanks for all the nice comments, he invited me to go hunting with him I think I will take him up on it.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »
Beautiful looking bow, man!  Maybe Tom'll let you finish it up?  He may even want a different finish to what you had planned...