Author Topic: New rules for BOM contest  (Read 15614 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: New rules for BOM contest
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 09:11:12 am »
Hi Barney,  as I said earlier in the thread, at the price of $68 for a 3 year international subscription, the magazine is a steal when compared to other UK magazine subs!  ;D.

....but to the publishers, please keep the subs in that price range ;)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline ohma2

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2011, 11:47:21 am »
i have subscribed to the mag, since day one, i dont know what all the fuss is about, if your not one of the select few that seem to win bow of the month all the time no worry.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 05:38:18 pm »
I got a little wound up myself when I first read this thread and posted a smart a_ _ remark I regretted.  After some long over do sleep and clear headed contemplation the next day, I realized it was a lot of guff over dang little.  I always bought off the shelf for one simple reason, I'm never home to get my magazine!  I then discovered the e-mag ads and wondered why I hadn't subscribed to that it the first place.  If saving over half what I was paying off the shelf and not having to stop at ten different truck stops and convenience stores every day until I found the latest issue is the price to pay for support of this forum, I'm good with that!!! ;) And to anybody that read that post before I removed it,  I apologize.  Lesson learned, don't post when tired and riding a grouch!  My bows are to plain and utilitarian (primitive?) to catch the eyes of enough voters to win BOM.  Nor do I think it should be any other way.  There are some very talented folks posting bows here that go the extra miles to stand out from the rest.  Their work is beautiful and should be recognized.  That being said it is kind of cool to have your bow on the same page as the best bowyers around even if its just on the voting thread. Sorry to ramble, I just had to say what's on my mind.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:42:22 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »
Gun Doc: 

We don't know each other but, I wanted to let you know that your most recent post was written with class.  I read it to my 11-year old son as an example of integrity.  It was clearly well thought and likely, difficult to post. 

Shoot straight and drive safely, as well!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Josh B

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08:44 pm »
MWirwicki:

Thank you, over the years I've learned that doing the right thing is not so hard to swallow, even with a big side of crow! ;)  Now, if I could just learn to filter my thoughts before I have to apologize, I would truly be on the road to enlightenment! ;D

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 07:11:07 pm »
@ Scott D ~ I can help you quantify that through econometrics if you can get the data on it.

I'm not a subscriber to be honest.  Not that I don't don't want to be but as an unemployed economist it's not the best use of $20 right now.  Later will be a different story.

I'm wondering how I can submit bows for the competition, or even acknowledgement and comment prior to actually getting a subscription.  Complimentary subscription would make a great prize.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 09:58:33 pm »
I'm wondering how I can submit bows for the competition, or even acknowledgement and comment prior to actually getting a subscription. 
All you have to do is post pictures and you can get all the acknowledgment and comment you desire. Lots of guys post pictures just to look at and we all enjoy looking at pictures of primitive bows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 01:18:04 am »
That is true enough I s'pose.  but getting it in print would be nice, or getting the BOM.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 01:23:32 am »
  If recognition is that important that $20 shouldn't be too hard to come up with. Pretty cheap price to pay to be recognised.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:20 am »
Boy howdy. Just read through this one and I am glad to see that everyone seems to be calming down now. I thought gundocs humility was inspiring and I love all you guys on this site. I love the mag and read it cover to cover and then pass it on to my ole primitve bow buddy "one eyed" Bill. So we get  a two for one benefit out of it. He's been disabled and can't afford much anyway and I would probabely loose track of where it was if it was'nt for him. He puts em in a binder.
 My two cents worth is this, PA needs to make money to pay the bills and make it worth their while ( free enterprise system at its best). If PA wants to set a few more rules, thats ok with me. I think it  could have been soft sold in a more genteel way and recieved a more positive reaction.
 I have been a subscriber for I think a couple years. I've been in the contest a few times but never won and to be honest with you don't think I ever will. Thats ok its still fun to see your work along side the greatness that graces this site and share mutual appreciation of one anothers accomplishment. I subscribed because it was easier than trying to remember when the next issue comes out. I get so busy in life that sometimes its tough to even come up for air, so I'm glad when I go to the mailbox and there is another issue waiting to be devoured. I personally want PA to do well financially so that they can remain strong and solid for many years to come, because I know that if they don't, then we loose a very valuable resource in the promotion of the hobby we all love so much. I like traditional archer well enough, but I love PA. So for me I will subscribe until the cows come home. For those that can't, I understand.

I'll leave you all with this thought; I was told a long time ago by a man I consider to be wise, " you can tell the size of the man by the size of the problems that upset him". Now if I could just find that LOW DOWN DIRTY ROTTEN &$%*&^%^*  thumb tack I lost I could get something &^%$#%&&%% done around here.   >:(   :P   ;D        Danny 
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God