Author Topic: ipe/ hickory question  (Read 1268 times)

Offline doulosparachristos

ipe/ hickory question
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:37:35 pm »
so i have a longer pyramid flatbow planned out ( 71'' & just under 2'' wide nearest the handle) using some leftover wood. the question is; what thickness should the backing (hick) vrs the belly (ipe) be to get around 60# @ 28? im asking this question because both belly and backing are already cut at 3/8ths and my cutting tools are not the greatest, so i want to make sure i get it as close as possible befor i start. thanks for any advice guys, i need it all.

Roy
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline bubby

Re: ipe/ hickory question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:21:23 am »
1/8" on the backing, ya can rip it a hair heavy so ya can sand it out, 2" sound's awfull wide for epe,I built a 70" ntn flatbow boo backed epe 1 1/8" wide at the fades, and it was 72# @ 29", 2" wide might get real thin, jmho, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: ipe/ hickory question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:30 pm »
Howdy,   All my ipe bows are made pretty narrow,  3/4 - 1 1/4 " wide and still  less than 3/8 inch thick in the working limbs.  I don't think the backing thickness is critical, but is normally less than 1/2 the limb thickness.   If you glued up what you have now, it would be a really heavy draw weight bow. 
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers