Author Topic: Draw Weight Question  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Hawkeye1974

Draw Weight Question
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:55:53 am »
With my first ever attempt on a compound bow I was able to draw 65pounds.   So my question is would that translate to the same amount on a recurve or pyramid bows? Or would it be more or less force?
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

blackhawk

Re: Draw Weight Question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:37:43 pm »
It does not translate to the same poundage because of the let off on a compound,even though your pulling the same pounds your not holding the same at full draw,which is a big difference. If you can easily pull 65 all day on a compound then id start out with a 45 pound stickbow and no more than 50 to learn proper form. Learning on a too strong bow will enforce and ingrain bad habits in shooting form. Which are hard to break. Much more to be said of this but this should be enough to answer your question.

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:43:41 pm »
holding a longbow back at full draw is comparative to holding a compound (the ones w/ circle cams not the continuous draw ones) at the point just before it "breaks"(that is to say when the mechanical advantage kicks in) at that point in the draw it is close to the same draw weight
All in all 65# is 65#, but the thing is compounds "cheat" to allow the user to hold back a higher draw weight

--Mark R.

PS there is not much difference in drawing a 65# compound and a 75# compound (that is you don't notice it), and yes at full draw it is quite different but thats not what i was talking about
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:51:11 pm by Marz5 »
Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:12:19 pm »
I would start with a lower poundage bow as blackhawk mentioned. If you pulled back a 65# compound you could pull a 65# stickbow, but shooting it well and pulling the string back are two totally different things. When I first switched over I thought I had to have a heavy bow and I was using a compound that I could pull back at 70# so I got a 60# recurve. I shot it ok but my form really suffered because it was so heavy. I just recently got myself a 47# longbow and it is great to shoot. I've actually gotten so used to it that my arm tires out faster than it did when I first switched from the 60# bow. I'd start light and learn good form. As blackhawk said it's hard to break the bad habits you get in, I had to do alot of shooting where I was constantly thinking about what I was doing with the lighter bow, which is the opposite of being instinctive, before I finally got my form in a better place where it is now. Plus 45#-50# is more than enough, I've talked to guys that have gotten a complete pass thru on a deer with 35# bows.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:23:16 pm »
yea I agree with the kind fellas above I like a fairly light weight bow makes it more fun to shoot more times and more accurate to.

"Plus 45#-50# is more than enough, I've talked to guys that have gotten a complete pass thru on a deer with 35# bows."

This is vary true infact  cant remember which indian trib but one in paticular used 30 pound short bows that only pulled 20 to 24 inches and they would hunt hogs deer and all kinds of big game and were getting more than enough penetration.  But I suggest 45 to 50 pounds for bone breaking power.

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:42:22 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone, so I have one more question.
if I start with 50 pounds how long before I can go up in draw weight? 
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:05:27 pm »
I wouldn't start on anything over 40#, regardless of what you can draw. A lighter bow is easier to shoot longer, and you need a lot of time to develope proper habbits. In the end you will become much more accurate much faster.

Likewise, don't be in a hurry to go up in weight. It will take about four months to develope the proficiency to go up just 5# if you shoot properly and practice regularly. Ego will ruin any opportunities you might have had at becoming a great shot.

A 40# bow can be built to shoot incredibly well... it's not all about draw weight! I personally hsoot bows in the 60-70# range but would have no problem switching to a lighter, well made 45# if the need would arrise.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »
I agree withKegan good form and having fun learning on a lower pound unit and move up...all the #in the world don't mater if u can't hit the mark ....or hurt yourself
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:58:09 pm »
You can do some serious hunting with a trad. bow that draws 50-55#. This past weekend I gave a 55# hickory bow to a friend who was used to hunting with a compound. As we were target shooting in the yard , and gradually backing further away from the target, he was surprised the arrow wasn't dropping any at nearly 30 yards. Stickbows and compounds are 2 different breed of cats.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:00 pm »
Hawkeye,  Take another look at the suggested draw weight for learners!   There is no reason to start at over 40-45 # @28".   That's a perfectly fine weight for most hunting and a great weight for target/ stump shooting.  Shoot all weekend and still have shoulder joints left.   If testosterone or or larger game makes you try a heavier bow great, but learn on the 40#.  I have fun occasionally getting out or burrowing, a heavier bow ( my best to date was 110# @ 29"), so I have nothing against heavier bows.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 12:49:25 am »
Hawkeye, I didn't mean to suggest that you start at 50-55#, rather that such a weight would probably meet all your hunting needs. As stated above, its better to start light and master the technique.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 01:10:58 am »
Well thank you gentlemen you have giving me alot to think about, I will defer to your collective wisdom and start with a 45#, @28.  Just have to decide between a pyramid or recurve for my first primitive bow.  Don't have the tools to build my own bow...   not yet.

-Anonymous

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 01:48:46 am »
i used to shoot a 80 pound osage self bow and it did cause some bad habits,i now shoot a 57 pound osage molle and i have much better form and my accuracy is totally better all around. i concur with all the others start light it will save ya lots of headaches in the future.
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.