Author Topic: Working on this ERC bow  (Read 6249 times)

kerbinator

Working on this ERC bow
« on: June 17, 2007, 01:14:52 am »
My neighbor asked me to make his wife a bow awhile back he wanted to use our local cedar you all know as ERC. I have never used it but I have seen some nice bows on this site made out of it. I have it floor tillered it is about 67"long 2" wide at the fades 3/4" tips. Any sudjestions are welcome.  Kerbinator

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Working on this ERC bow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:17:49 am »
  Back it with light rawhide.Deer or goat. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Minuteman

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:34:52 am »
Eeyup, I'd back it and soon, before you get it bending too much.I'd go with a medium thick rawhide if you can find some, or a good heavy canvas. Titebond will stick whatever you use down well.
 Chris

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:11:32 am »
Believe 'em.  I just exploded an unbacked ERC on the tiller tree yesterday.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:18:42 am »
I agree with the rawhide backing, but I'd use hide glue. Much stronger, but seal it good after, and try to keep it from getting wet later. Cheers.

kerbinator

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 06:41:02 pm »
With out a dought I am going to back it. Mullet I had some raw hide but not enough of it. But I do have this very nice peice of bamboo, and thats what I decided to use. I have used canvas before but just wasnt to thrilled with it. I have TB3 and bow grip100 for the boo what would yall use?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 07:43:35 pm »
I'd use the bow grip if I had it.I have a bamboo backed ERC that B Melton gave me a few years ago.It was made from billets and all of it including the boo back was glued up with epoxy.It's still a fine shooter.I gave it to my son in Law and he really enjoys it.My experience with TB3 is it dries  faster than TB2 and doesn't like tight vices.I still use it a lot though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

kerbinator

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:29 pm »
Bow grip it is then. Ive decrowned and prepared for glueup. Ime going to use a rubber inertube to bind them together. Thanks mullet I pray this works. Kerbinator

Offline StanM

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:53:22 pm »
kerbinator,

I made a hickory backed cedar bow a few years ago.  I think you'll be happy with the bamboo as a backing, just try to get it pretty thin before you use it.  If I remember right I used TiteBond II on my bow.  Cedar is very nice to work with, and due to it's light mass made for a very good shooter.  Have fun.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

kerbinator

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 12:52:43 am »
I recently backed it with bamboo. It needed more help so I also put on a Ash belly. Looking pretty good I should have some full draw pictures soon.   Kerbinator

[attachment deleted by admin]