Author Topic: question for guys back east  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Blacktail

question for guys back east
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:25:13 am »
i never thought i would be writing this..only because i never that i would get some of this wood...i did a trade at the central oregon gathering for some osage..the piece i have is 57'' long and i was wondering if i could put a stiff handle in it...or what wood you recommend...ALSO,should sinew be applyed....it will be a long while till i get my own place but i thought i would ask....thanks john

blackhawk

Re: question for guys back east
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:44:00 am »
What's your intended draw length?

My personal preference for that length wood be a bend thru the handle with mild flipped tips. But that's my personal opinion. As far as sinew goes it doesn't need it unless the wood needs it. Which wood depend on how far its going to be drawn or if the back ring was in suspect of needing a backing.

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:57 am »
my molle is 57 inches tip to tip and ive made several osage bow(my favorite wood) i have never used sinew, but ive found if the backing ring is chased proprerly and not violated you wont need any type of backing, maybe a nice snake skin for looks. flipping the tips will make it shoot quicker but, but osage doesnt have to be as wide as most other woods so you have some options as far as styles. one problem with osage is the factr that after you make one its like grannys cookies... you cant stop at just one.lol enjoy your bow build and post lots of pics.
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »
thats some great info guys..my draw is 25''... so,if i could pull off a stiff handle i think it would have some punch..but,the right way sounds like a bend-through handle...john

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:45 pm »
I build mostly osage bows, and mostly in the low to mid 60s at the same 25" draw.  I prefer 60-62" lengths for rigid handled bows that are 1-3/8" t 1-1/2" wide.  For your stave's length, I (at least) would make an unbacked working handled bow.  Depending on stave quality and my mood, 1-1/4" to 1-3/8" wide for 60-ish weights, and about a quarter inch less for 50's and same reduction for 40's.  I also prefer radiused bellies unless I'm making a sapling bow with a VERY high crown. 

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:44 pm »
Also remember you can go narrower than what your used to with the tips and the last few inches with Osage.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:33 pm »
I only build osage bows.  If you are in a humid area I would not sinew back.  Otherwise, with sinew you can easily do a stiff handle and get 25" of draw.  I would cover it with snakeskin then for weather protection.  If you keep the handle and fades short I still think you could go stiff handled and unbacked but you'll have to tiller carefully to avoid set.  If you let the bow bend through the handle you'll easily get 25" of draw.

Good luck
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:04:44 am »
Im not from back east, but I have a few Osage bows that are only about 62-64" and I draw 30". If you don't make the handle to long and get it bending right at the fades you will be fine.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah