Author Topic: leather backing?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Catnapper

leather backing?
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »
Is there a reason I haven't seen any leather backed bows? I was looking at some tanned ostrich skin the other day and was thinking it would make a cool looking backing with the dark spots where the feathers used to be. More for looks rather than performance. Maybe there is a good reason I have not seen any leather backed bows....figured u guys could answer?
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: leather backing?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »
Most leather is too heavy and soft for a good backing.  You can apply it for looks, of course.  Rawhide works better....snakeskin for looks.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:41 pm »
I've been thinking about your choice.  Generally I would discourage leather for a backing, jackcrafty hit the point pretty well.  But in this case I imagine if the ostrich hide isn't backed onto another leather (commonly done to add rigidity to boots, etc) it might be thin enough to not rob cast from the bow.  It'd sure be eye catching.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:06:59 am »
Yes I could see how thick heavy leather would slow the bow down. I had a feeling that was the reason but wasn't sure. Ostrich is pretty thin and might even be able to thin it down even more by standing. I was just curious because I can get a whole tanned ostrich hide. I am going to cover my motorcycle seats with some but when I saw the skin with the dark rings my first thought was that would look really cool on a bow! Lol maybe I will make a test bow and sand the hide down and see how much cast it robs from the wood. It would be interesting to know. ;D
Gillette, Wyoming